Suggestions on inexpensive mini-DV decks?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I want to get one for capturing my mini-DV tapes but don’t want to spend a bundle. Any suggestions?

Participant

I have asked this question before.

Here is what everyone told me.

Since there are no inexpensive consumer MiniDV Decks for sale, unless you want to spend $1000 + on a deck, the easiest thing to do is to go on ebay and find a cheap MiniDV camcorder that you really don’t care about. That way if it dies in 6 months you didn’t waist any money on it.

The problem you will probably run into if you buy the expensive one is mixing tape brands (Do a search regarding mixing tape brands and Lubricants). You spend $1000 on a tape deck then start putting 50 different brands in it, you will have a $1000 paperweight in 6 months.

If you buy a cheap camcorder off ebay for $50 – $100, you’ll have a $50 – $100 paperweight in 6 months. Unless you always use the same kind of tapes that is.

Keep in Mind
      No matter what quality the camcorder records in (i.e. Record hi quality video with Sony DCR-VX2100), if you take that tape and put it in a $50 ebay cam, the quality on the tape is still high and that is what will be downloaded to your computer. The recording quality of a camcorder really has very little (if nothing) to do with the download capabilities of the camcorder.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

Participant

Hi Redleaf,

Take a look at the Sony GVD-1000 miniDV VCR. Prices at B&H currently range from $750 to $1000.

This has been a workhorse for me for about 3 years. In less than 2 years each, I wore out 2 units that did the same thing for Digital8 tape. Appears that Sony got its act finally together for the minDV model.

I sometimes take the GVD-1000 to a shoot to use as monitor or to show bands/clients sample footage just shot ("daily’s"). (In honesty, more than a few times, my ulterior motive has been to brazenly show off the startling images just shot in low light with a VX2100 or PD-170.) I dragged the GVD-1000 all over the Northern Philippines for a month for what at times seemed like a Survivor episode. I have never had a glitch from this device.

Rarely use other than Sony tape (Excellence and DVCAM versions), so mixing is not an issue.

Per your website, you have a serious commitment to your video business and are way beyond making a token financial investment in your gear. I think the GVD-1000 would help and complement your business. Get one from B&H and if it doesn’t work out for you, send it back to them. Like me, you may end up using it almost every day.

REGARDS … TOM 8)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best cameras for YouTube — 2021

So you’re all set to start your new YouTube channel where you’ll show how you create wigs for dogs with bald spots. Great! But before you get started, you’ll need a camera. We’re here to help you wade through the...
homicide-bootstrap