Suggested Reading for Wedding Videography

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Looking for your suggestions on required reading for someone wanting to break into Wedding Videography?

Thanks!

Inactive

So maybe I should make the question a little more broad!?!?!

Suggested reading for someone breaking into video (HD)?

I’d recommend if you’re jumping into Wedding Videography that you take a look at CVP’s book "Capturing Creativity." It’s a great starter to the field of wedding videography.

Here’s their website: http://www.cvpinspiration.com/

Mark

Inactive

I agree with compusolver’s opinions and reasoning behind the lack of information. Not talking about the fundamentals of good camera and editing techniques but the business of weddings. You won’t need any books there are too many bits of info on the net. The best way that I have found is just getting to know everyone involved in the wedding production as a whole. Many brides have ideas of what they want in the video and many don’t know where to begin. Be flexible. There are photographers and DJs that you will meet- network, network, network. Have business cards in your pockets. But the most important people that I think any wedding videographers must get to know is the cordinators and wedding planners. 90% of every business that I have received is through these people. The bride and groom ussually sit and consult their needs to these fine organizers long before they decide whose catering, flower arrangments,photographers and who’s doing the video. They can help in a whole host of items and issues. From where your allowed toshoot (there are rules in some churches), directions to locations, who you need to know about sound and lighting, even whether or not your allowed to go through the buffet line, trust mewedding cordinatorscan make your day easy. And, they can set you up for the next event with little effort on your part. If you have established relations with as many cordinators as you can in your area you may never have to commute very far. I never spend any money on advertising instead I give a percentage to those who recommend me. And that’s why they keep me busy.

Buy my “How To Do Wedding Videos” for the low price of… Just kidding.

There you have it. There are lots of things behind the scenes like income tax and epuipmentupgrading that you will need to learn. But dive in and make every one feel comfortable that they have you instead of someone else.

Inactive

But the most important people that I think any wedding videographers must get to know is the cordinators and wedding planners. 90% of every business that I have received is through these people. The bride and groom ussually sit and consult their needs to these fine organizers long before they decide whose catering, flower arrangments, photographers and who’s doing the video. They can help in a whole host of items and issues. From where your allowed to shoot (there are rules in some churches), directions to locations, who you need to know about sound and lighting, even whether or not your allowed to go through the buffet line, trust me wedding cordinators can make your day easy. And, they can set you up for the next event with little effort on your part. If you have established relations with as many cordinators as you can in your area you may never have to commute very far.

I agree. Networking with wedding coordinators is perhaps the best thing you can do for your business. I’m not sure I agree entirely with the comment that only less talented videographers continue doing weddings. Some actually do it because they like it. Though, for the most part, it’s probably true that the most talented move on to other things because that’s where the money is.

Inactive

Well,there is something to be said about talent going were the money is. First of all, would you spend $500 or $800 or $1200 for less then a feature length film just so that you may pull it out and look at it a couple of times. Newly weds think this is the most important day oftheir lives andwant it captured and are willing to fork out every dollarthey have to preserve that moment only to find it years later in the back of the stack of other movies shoved in the front.Unfortunetly many find it because there cleaning housedue tothe divorce. The fact is: unless the bride and groom are loaded and don’t care what they spend its hard for a videographer to commit all they want to see in their wedding video for the price they are willing to pay. However,a company or business can justify spending even tens of thousands of dollars to promote their product, training their employees, educating the customers and public. But business don’t want to do business with just anyone with a camera they want experience and quality. Therefore, many of your better videographers get drafted (sorta speak) to places that pay more and no longer have time to do weddings. It’s true there are long timers in the wedding business that are very good at their craft. But I bet they have worked their way and learned how to pick and choose the weddings they want to do by which have the greatest income potential.

Just a side note:the deviousvideograpers know that weddings can be the easiest way to hide money from the IRS. Not advising- just saying that its true.

Inactive

For my shooters and editors I have had to take the time to type out very specific instructions and have training sessions for a day or two. I haven’t found any other way to really get my employees to understand exactly what I want the m to do. Step by step specific situation bound instruction is the best. general theory and practice often leads to obvious mistakes. I would love to see something out there but EVENT DV is the best right now and really does everything else that I would want to do on a more general level.

Inactive

I would check out the book “The Wedding Video Handbook: How to Succeed in the Wedding Video Business”

• Viewing 7 reply threads

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
    homicide-bootstrap