suggest new/used camcorder?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I dropped my Sony DCR-HC 52 (uses Mini-DV tapes) in the Dismal Swamp in Virginia, gone forever. Had it for 5 years, loved it, only problem: no external mike input. Time for a new/used one

Mostly I do family documentaries, volunteer work, etc. So I haven’t kept up very much with the developments since last purchase…such as HD, AVHD, etc.

Important to know: I use Final Cut Pro on a Apple Powermac G5 PPC (pre-intel) and also have a Macbook Pro with the newer processor. I have been told that I won’t be able to capture video to thePowermac G5 from the new cameras that store video on the hard drive. So I think I might need to get a camera that uses Mini DV tapes, but I still need an external mike input. (or I could use the Macbook Pro to capture and then transfer the .mov files to the Powermac G5 for editing if I need to. Anyone know how difficult that may be or if it’s even practical?)

how do I solve this problem? is there another way to get good sound without the external mike input? I’m beginning to think I’ll have to go that route if I get a camera using Mini-DV tapes, since they seem to be the lower-end models.

Inactive

Simply get a refurb Canon HV20 that shoots HDV for $400 and kiss your troubles goodbye

Participant

Kiss your troubles goodbye? With HDV?! Not according to what I’ve heard/read

Participant

I don’t know what your budget is butfind yourself a Sony DSR -PD170 Mini DVCAM Camcorder. It uses XLR connectors for boom, wireless, or lapel microphones. It thrives on MiniDV tapes. Its great for documentaries, and such.

Inactive

The Canon HV30 is a good choice. There’s lots of infoon theWeb. B&H Photo/Video has great reviews.You can upgrade to XLR connectors. It does have microphoneand headphone outputs. It also uses miniDV tape. I’m just a amatuer/hobbist trying to break into something professional.

Inactive

I would recommend the Canon HV30 as well. Talked with a friend of mine in Indiana, and his comment was that he was able to shoot footage as good as most of his prolevel HD cameras. He may be stretching it a bit, but it is his favorite camera that he uses. I am buying one next week.

And NOW there is an HV40!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap