success interview video

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Luke
      Participant

Guys, my first “Success Series” interview video.

Give me feedback please.

Person Success Series Interview #1 – Frances Dyess, President of Houston East End Chambers of Commerce

JackWolcott
      Participant

Nice work for a first interview. Here are some observations:

1) I think the second zoom in on the title is unnecessary, calls attention to the zoom and makes the title difficult to read.

2) There’s too much head room; it make the two of you look like you’re sitting in a hole.

3) The hand held mic is pretty obtrusive because of its size; a lavaliere on each of you would make the interview seem more natural — like two people chatting — or you could use a shotgun on a boom pole above your heads.

4) I find the fly-in titles over your heads quite distracting. They’d work better at the bottom of the screen. Also, they look washed out, kind of wimpy. A narrow, drop shadow with no feathering would pop them a bit.

5) Finally, even though you’ve said her name several times, I’d close with “I’m Luke and my guest today has been _________.” Think of it as a “plug” for you guest in lieu of payment.

Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your next interview.

Jack

doublehamm
      Participant

What jack said, and the audio is only coming from the left channel. It should be balanced. Makes me feel like I am deaf in my right ear.

Woody
      Participant

Well, if I had to dig into my “Artsy Fartsy” side I would have done a lot of things different. It looks like you were working in a small space, things are cramped and hard to light.

The color of the back wall isn’t bad but I would have looked to create some texture to it, got her away from the wall and blurred it a bit with some DOF, just a smige though.

I’d of set up some better lighting. The shadow cast across her eyes makes it look like she’s been out all night. I would definately back light with such a flat background. Make her sort of pop out from the background and add some depth to the shot.

I would have scripted to make it all her for a single camera shot rather than have two people in it. That works fine for sports broadcasting but I really like the two camera angles if you are going to show two people in an interview setting. Its easier to make someone look their best if they are by themselves in the shot. Two poeple complicates that.

I would second Jacks comments on composition and DH’s on audio, it was good and clear though. Also your voice kind of over powered hers, I would normalize that some.

Charles
      Participant

When you render the footage, render the audio as mono if you only have one channel. That way you will have audio to both channels. Hope that helps with the audio portion.

If you look at the free training videos on here VM has some really good pointers on interview styles that may help a bunch. Not bad for a first though.

JackWolcott
      Participant

WSanford: Not sure why you think your comments are “Artsy Fartsy?” Seems to me like they’re right on with regard to what makes the difference between “o.k.” video and excellent video. As we all know, anyone can set up a camera on a tripod these days and turn it on. It’s understanding and paying attention to the details that you speak to of lighting, shot choice and composition that makes the work outstanding.

I think for a first effort Luke has done well, but would be well advised to study both the VM material, which is excellent, and interviews on TV to see how they’re framed, lit and how the audio is produced.

Jack

Woody
      Participant

I try not to take myself to seriously so I can focus on things like the details. So, the creative process or “Art” of videography I take in a very light hearted manner.

Its funny, I was always frustrated with not being able to understand art till I had kids. They would paint or draw things and they would just look like blobs to me. Then they would explain them to me and I would see pictures take shape that made perfect sence. I could only see a green blob on the construction paper of a hotdog my two year old son painted but I only gave him green paint to paint with but thats not how he saw it.

So, it became all about the details with me and the “Art” side of things is what is supposed to just be the fun side of things not the serious side. I may accidently create art on occasion but I never plan on being an “Artist”. I could never understand statements like “Painting with light”, creating layers that contrast or define a subject, yeah sure but the lingo of art will always be lost on me.

So, the details I will take seriously, the creative process of developing details however, I’ll try to keep as fun as finger painting with a two year old and just stick to “Artsy Fartsy”.

Heck, a good deal of the details we go to great lengths to show are seen but not acknowledged by the audience. Guess that’s why get labeled a “Documentarian” from time to time. 🙂

Moab Man
      Participant

Everything said above and my 2 cents is that the interview felt uncomfortable to me. Your proximity felt more like invading her space and because you were so close the looking at her with your lean-in, and her straight upright position, felt creepy like she couldn’t get away.

I like the idea of what you’re doing and there is a lot to be learned here on interviews, lighting, etc…

Luke
      Participant

Wow, great tips and advice. I’m starting with the training videos and I’m upgrading my equipment as budget allows.

Thank you so much for watching and giving me feedback. I have lots to learn!

Luke

billmecca
      Participant

My first question: Is there a need to see you on camera? The video is about your subject, Not you (IMHO) so I would frame her up, following the rule of thirds and ask the questions off camera. This would also allow for some creative use of graphics and B-roll.

You had her introduce herself and then repeated exactly what she said, that could be handled by a simple lower third graphic.

Your handheld microphone technique could be improved by watching this

http://www.billmecca.com/quicktips-episode-10-handheld-microphone-use/

What I said early on about the two shot applies at the end. You are summing up, repeating what she says and she has to sit there awkwardly. She doesn’t need to be there, you could drop a full screen graphic in over that, or some appropriate B-roll, all making it look more creative and polished.

My final thought, if this is to be a recurring “show” create an open with some video, music and graphics. Make it look consistent and give the entire video some production value. Viewers today are sophisticated, they are used to certain things when they watch video or TV.

Hope that helps.

Luke
      Participant

@Bill – Awesome tip video! You have to teach me how you put yourself in the video like that! LOL!

I keep hearing this ‘rule of thirds’,can you school me on this? Send me a link…

How would I ‘frame her up’?

I got the lower third graphic, check!

I can work on an open with video and music, check!

What do you mean, ‘production value’?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I’m just glad I found this site and you guys are so helpful!

Thanks,

Live Happy Luke
      Amateur video maker for http://livehappyandsuccessful.com

Woody
      Participant

Hi Luke,

This is meant totally constructively, so I hope you take it that way. You asking about the rule of thirds has drawn a flag for me but not in a bad way. You’re at the point where regardless of source, its time to study IMHO. The “Rule of thirds” is a basic fundamental of composition for both video and photography.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here but getting the short answer from experienced people can sometimes be like getting “Cliff notes”. Sure, they are pearls but without your own understanding of the fundamentals, you are running short on tools that will help you do your job better. Kind of like having a pair of vice grips in your back pocket vs. a full standard and metric socket/wrench set.

This site has a mountain of video’s and articles that cover just about anything involved with video and its there to surf any time its convenient for you. These articles will go a bit more in depth than what you will usually get in a response to a post on the forum. I was also tipped off by others on this site about a good book that would serve you well on this subject. Its called “The Five C’s of Cinematography” by Joseph V. Mascelli. On a whim I added it to my Christmas list my wife asks me for every year and actually found it a great book. I also found I was in need of a refresher at the time and have read it several times now. It did me good to read it. You can find it online for about 20-25 bucks.

When you’re “Run and Gun” shooting, you gotta just apply basic rules of composition but at least for me, its something that kind of develops when I’m setting up for interviews or just in control of things in general. Even books on composition for photography are useful but its a subject I really don’t think you can study to much of.

Like I said, short answers are great but making full use of this site and hitting some books can give you a broader understanding of the subject. I believe you hit a point where you have to hit the books and make time for that when it comes to video and looks to me like you’re at that point.

Just my 2 pennies

Luke
      Participant

@WSanford – First, thanks again for your comments. I wish this forum had a ‘thank you’ button to press…

I’ve studied the Archimedes principle for advertising and I’m going to stop by the library today and checkout a few more film books.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes%27_principle

I wish I had the time to take classes and hopefully in the future I will. Right now, it is watch others and recreate.

Again, thank you for pushing me to be a better film maker. Growing pains are a part of the process.

PS- I ordered my 3 piece light kit last night!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi!

I think it was a very good attempt. I just have to say that a bit of scripting could have brought forward a much better result. Everything else was good. Keep the spirits up and best of luck.

billmecca
      Participant

Luke,

I do a web series, Video QuickTips http://www.billmecca.com Episode 6 deals with the rule of thirds, and I showed how I interviewed myself is a later episode.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

How to choose the right computer for video editing: 4 key specs to check

Buying the best workstation for your needs means understanding how the CPU, GPU, RAM and storage options work together to enhance overall performance.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN