Strong shadow! What to do?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I’m using 3-point lighting to light my scene. (3 X 1000W). This method works great when filming a person, but I’m filming a moving object on the ground. My problem is that I get a strong shadow on the ground behind my object, mainly created by the key light. How do I get rid of that shadow? My key light is at 45 degrees. My fill light is also at 45 degrees but 70% weaker. I also added a backlight.

birdcat
      Participant

Think about adding a hairlight – something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Photograph-Continuous-background-lighiting-ePhotoINC/dp/B003YH2GH6

Softboxes work well for this sort of thing – It may not get rid of the shadow but it will lighten it up. The problem is that a light strong enough to eliminate the shadow completely may add too much glare on the object itself.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks Bruce. It pretty much confirms what I was thinking. I used defusing paper in front of the lights to soften the shadows but I still got some unwanted shadows. What’s the hairlight for? Where is it positioned?

D0n
      Participant

70% weaker?

think light ratios….

30% weaker would make more sense for a fill light.

birdcat
      Participant

Hi Pierre –

My settings:

Key Light – About 30-40 degrees to the right of the camera, above subject height

Fill Light – About 20-30 degrees to the left of the camera, about subject height

Back Light – Pointing on or towards the background

Hair Light – Above and behind the subject (on a boom if possible), slightly off center to the left – This is used to highlight the hair (or top) of the subject – It also is helpful for minimizing shadows on the floor!

These are just my staring points, always adjust for each situation based on how it looks in the viewfinder.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks Birdcat. Don says 30% for the fill light but I think this may be not enough. Will create to strong a shadow.

D0n
      Participant

in your original post you said your fill light was 70% less than your main.. approx 1:3 fill to main ratio.

in my post I suggested using 30% less fill than your main… approx 2:3 fill to main ratio.

it would be impossible for my suggestion to have darker shadows that what you described when you originally posted.

most people start off thier lighting with a 1:2 fill to key ratio which would still have darker shadows than my suggested 2:3

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs for video — 2021

These are the best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs on the market today, organized by use case. All are worthy of your hard-earned dollar.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN