Striping Footage

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

This is a weird subject to try to explain, so please bear with me and my limited vocabulary. In a future video I want to apply the effect of striped footage on top of another similar image. Basically, I will tape two shots on a tripod with only the actor being the difference between the two. I want to put both layers together basically by taking out the first or second fields on the top layer. I want to purposefully give each character a striped, only half there look. They should be on alternating lines. I am wondering how I might accomplish this using Sony Vegas 9.

At first I tried to take the “venetian blinds” transition effect and I dragged it over the whole clip and then used a transition envelope so that it was at a constant level, say 50%, but this effect only let me create up to 30 lines, which isn’t near enough and also the different ‘blinds’ were of unequal size. If there was a way to get rid of the 30 line cap I think this method would suffice. I’ve tried a few other methods but was completely unsuccessful.

I was wondering if there was a way to re-render one of the videos as interlaced footage with half of the fields missing, then use a chroma key to take out the black later? Does somebody have another method I could try to achieve my effect with?

The only other way I figured I could pull this off would be to create a mask and create the horizontal lines back and forth myself, but that would require quite a bit of manwork. Especially when considering Vegas Pros masking system is pretty crappy.

If it makes much of a difference I am shooting in 1920×1080 30 fps progressive in AVCHD .mts container. I could also shoot in 1920×1080 60i instead.

Participant

I fixed this problem by taking the media generator for checkerboards and having 1 color transparent and another a light green color, then extending the length quit a bit to my liking. I would delete this post but apparently you cannot do this on these forums

Participant

“I was wondering if there was a way to re-render one of the videos as interlaced footage with half of the fields missing, then use a chroma key to take out the black later? Does somebody have another method I could try to achieve my effect with?”

You could find a striped image on the internet, chroma key out the white, and place it on your video image, or make your own in paint.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Videomaker’s 2020 holiday gift guide

When it comes to holiday gifting for people who are deeply involved in a niche or hobby, it's challenging to decide which ideas are worthwhile. If the hobby has become an actual gig that they invest in, it can be daunting. This is true with videographers as much as anything, but we're here to help. You might want to find a gift that is exactly what they need to round out their gear, or something a little more fun. Either way, we've got you covered.
homicide-bootstrap