Strange HDV problem with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Mango
      Participant

I need to edit some HDV footage with Adobe Premiere Pro CS3, but have discovered to my dismay that my laptop is not up to the task.
      The laptop has a Pentium M 1.86Ghz with 2GB of RAM – perfectly adequate for a 3-camera shoot in standard definition, but plays HDV at the rate of about one frame every 15 seconds. I am looking for a way to convert the footage to a lower quality, edit it, and then replace the low quality footage with HDV.

Now here’s the strange part. I did some experimenting. I rendered a minute of HDV footage to lower quality. I placed it into an HDV sequence and discovered that it would still only play at the rate of one frame every five seconds or so – with no effects, transitions, or anything. However, in the program monitor, it would play perfectly. πŸ˜• I tried MPEG2 and H.264 with identical results.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it!

-Mango

KevinShaw
      Participant

Try using Cineform Aspect HD to get better performance by converting HDV to a less compressed editing format: you can find the trial download at the following link: http://www.cineform.com/products/Downloads/DownloadAHDTrialStart.htm

Also make sure your laptop hard drive isn’t full and try running a defragmentation utility on it. HDV by nature is difficult to edit on older computers, but it shouldn’t be as slow as what you described.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.