Storm Footage

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Has anyone heard or used StormStock.com? I was checking out some of the footage they have of lightning and it is impressive. I wanted to order some of the footage but they don’t operate like any other stock footage firm I’ve ordered from before. They have licensing fees for specific stuff, not a general royalty free license.

So has anyone ordered from them before? If so, what was it like, and what are all the licensing fees about?

Participant

Martin was a client of mine in the mid 90s in Dallas. Great stock footage and great prices.

He likes to bill per needle drop and length of clip used, like old music libraries. He will sell you a clip outright though. Just contact him.

Participant

Thank you for the info

Participant

did ya get what ya need from him? Be sure to tell him I said howdy.

And ask him if he remembers when the tornado hitting the studio as we were editing Tornado Alley!? lol

good times.

Participant

I haven’t picked up anything yet. I just picked up a 7D so I’m going to have to wait a bit before I spend any more money. But when I do, I’ll be sure to mention you. thank you for the help.

Participant

Ya know, Rex, since you’re in Florida – the lightning capital of the south – you could try to get your own footage – I haven’t caught anything I’m happy with yet but one day, I will get that spectacular shot (from my garage, which faces west – where the storms usually come from in Boynton Beach).

I got one very close strike when I was living on Staten Island but the camera was not up to snuff and it looks odd…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7HrjX6xT6Q

Participant

Wow, that was crazy. Did that scare the hell out of you when it struck? Part of the reason i bought the 7D was to start creating my own stock footage and such. I might try capturing some lightning. I don’t know if you looked at StormStock.com but they had some real impressive purple crawler lightning and other stuff that just blew my mind. The clarity was amazing.

Participant

Did that scare the hell out of you when it struck??

It’s funny you should ask. In a prior life I was a professional news photographer and as such have (wrongly) come to the point where getting the shot trumps my common sense in staying safe.

I will say that my son was with me on the stoop, standing behind me, and the strike knocked him down (he is 250 pounds and 6’5″ – no small feat).

Luis Maymi LopezLuis Maymi Lopez
      Participant

Capturing lightning on camera is awesome, kind of dangerous though. I have a few videos of lightning strikes, but since my camera is consumer the quality is not good. When I get a new camera I will like more challenging task, such as hurricanes, floods, landslides, but the problem with this kind of footage is being there at the precise “Climax moment” of the storm so you could capture an amazing piece of footage and live to tell your story. I had this one in a lifetime shot with lightning. Note: Lightning don’t usually scare me, but this time it scares the hell out of me. Enjoy

Participant

this thread has gone from where to buy to how to stablize your camera durring some coolness.

It’s pretty easy. Aim it. If the action is in that litle screen, you’re cool. If it’s not, you’ll wanna pan a little bit so that it is.

It’s a rush no matter how boring it sounds.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap