Storage – RAID or JBOD

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I just wanted to put in a good word for my recent network attached storage (NAS) device, the Synology DS409+ (the currently selling model is DS410). I needed backup storage for my workstation, as one must always expect disk drives to fail ! For the last year I have been shooting tapeless, therefore the video files copied to my workstation could have been my only copy! Not a good situation. Therefore some secondary backup disk was mandatory.

I finally selected the Synology, which attaches to a 1Gbit Ethernet. By going with NAS, the cost is higher, but I can readily connect from workstation or laptop. So far I’ve moved about 1500 Gbytes of material to the DS409+ and have gotten an average of 40Mbytes/second transfer rate, which is quite respectable (about 40% of the theoretical peak of the 1Gbit Enet).

The browser based management is quite easy (no need to install any software on your workstation). It holds up to 4 drives, which I elected to make independent filesystems, not using RAID actually. I believe this gains more failure independence, and it is a backup after all.

It is fast enough that I can view and play clips of 1920×1080 HD material without jerks or pauses.

Videomaker, you should start a Storage forum topic, as there is plenty to share here!

FYI, Rich

I use JBOD (just a bunch of drives) for storage, RAID for speed and/or mirroring a project for security when in the middle of a project. Both purposes serve me well with their respective strong points.

I’m partial to the Drobo, but have an older model that is too slow to use dual purpose. It does work, however, for simple storage and access for when I want to bring a project back online for editing.

Participant

Aaroninbna, your setup sounds very wise, especially the offsite part! Having been involved in the design of RAID controllers, and a reasonable amount of use of them, we must all remember: RAID protects against some failures, and not others. Don’t trust your data to any one physical storage system!

The other day I booted my workstation and the BIOS RAID controller reported: no drives found. This could have meant my “RAID protected” video files were 100% gone in one second! The RAID controller itself can fail. Consumer grade RAIDs likely as not do not recover your data when a new controller is installed and attached to the existing drives!

Especially for tapeless workflows, but really for all generated data (it would take a long time to reload a tape, re-edit, and re-create a DVD!), at least 2 copies of data, physically separated, must be maintained. A RAID is great to keep you going, riding through one of a small set of possible failures. However it is not sufficient for protection against data loss.

By the way, for my workstation, I immediately stabbed at the Reset button on the WS, and upon reboot the drives magically re-appeared, no data lost.

Thanks, Rich

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap