Stop Motion beginners issues, please help

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Stop Motion beginners issues, please help

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jonas K
      Participant

I am trying to make a stop-motion music-video. Most of the footage is done and editing will commence, but I keep running into problems.

I would like to do the clipping and color-correcting in Final Cut Pro 7 and then do panning in Adobe After Effects.

1’st problem: As there is a mix of video and still-frame footage (and because it looks good) we want to do 16:9 format. However as the stills are individual (and as this setting goes for the entire production) in timeline it’s a drag to drag down widescreen effect on every. So how to make a transparent layer with widescreen effect on to have in top of your timeline (or use a different method?) Can’t figure it out.

2’nd problem: We’re doing the film in 15fps. This is an option in After Affects, but not in Final Cut Pro it seems. Is there anyway to change this?

3’rd problem: Sometimes it could be very useful to merge the stills into a video clip. Is this doable without exporting and importing?

Thanks so very much to the people that might want to help me out, I’m still a beginner at just 18.

Rob
      Participant

To add your wind screen effect to multiple clips (or photos in your case) at once, simply add the effect to one clip or photo. Copy the photo (Command + C). Highlight all the other clips or photos, right-click, paste attribute. A dialog box pops up and you can checkmark which attributes you want pasted.

“2’nd problem: We’re doing the film in 15fps. This is an option in After Affects, but not in Final Cut Pro it seems. Is there anyway to change this?”

No, not really. Try the strobe effect.

3’rd problem: Sometimes it could be very useful to merge the stills into a video clip. Is this doable without exporting and importing?

Drop the photos into a separate sequence. Then drag that sequence from the Browser window onto your main sequence. This is called nesting.

Jonas K
      Participant

Thanks a bunch! So simple answers as well. πŸ™‚

I really haven’t got any idea what I will do as regard to the 15fps then… But I might copy each frame and do it 30 fps and then perhaps later I could do some editing which deleted them once again…. πŸ˜›

Jonas K
      Participant

Hmmm… I think that the strobe-thing won’t work. If anyone has any good suggestions for this, I’ll be eternally grateful! πŸ˜›

Rob
      Participant

really? the Strobe effect doesn’t work? Have you adjusted the Strobe Duration in the filters tab? All this parameter does is tell FCP how long to hold each frame, which is what you’re doing when you do stop motion with a still camera – you shoot each photo, then tell your editing program how long to hold each still image.

D0n
      Participant

this is why I do stop frames with my d-slr…. I just take a folder full of stills (prepped in Aperture, batch processed in Photoshop with actions if needed) then open them up with quicktime pro set the frame rates and export it as a quicktime file…. open that up in final cut express and use motion to pan and zoom in a 16×9 aspect ratio and export it from there to 720 p quicktime (I find 720 works best with the apple tv and renders to standard def dvd faster than 1080p so it works for me).

I’m too dumb to get decent results with an nle…

one question though… can’t you do the panning with Final Cuts Motion and save yourself at least one step?

Jonas K
      Participant

I might have approached it wrong, rob. Will try again. Thanks. Else there is always the quick-time method. God, I like this forum.

The panning is SO easy in Adobe After Effects. Does exactly the same, it’s just easier to use and therefore also easier to make great. Try and search in youtube, if you bother. πŸ˜›

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Editing’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

CANON EOS

REBEL T7i

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN