Still Shot Question – for HDV Use

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

As a newbie to video but veteran of still photography, I understand the need for a 16×9 aspect ratio for shooting the video.

However, a bit unclear as to how to shoot stills to incorporate into my video. I can shoot at very high to low resolutions. It seems to me that a 72 pixels per inch level is too low to give even a 16×9 ratio a good look on even small TVs.

Please tell me how many pixels per inch would offer a high quality still image. Then, I can shoot more intelligently.

If I shoot a picture at only 72 ppi with the 16×9 ratio it makes for a grainy picture except for on the web;) I don’t want to use more hard drive space than necessary, yet want to produce a good High Definition movie with stills incorporated.

Thanks in advance or your assistance!

D.

Participant

buy more hard drives….

Why shoot lowest res possible? no cropping or panning (aka Ken Burns Effect) options…No movie posters…..

Ever wonder why major studios hire stills photographers? To get high res photos!

A portrait oriented shot off my 10 mp dslr can be used for a 16×20 300dpi print, and a 800×600 72 dpi web page AND a still on video and still behorizontally cropped on apanned and zoomed video clip….

Participant

Thanks D0n,

I am getting closer to my answer. I do not wish to shoot at a 72ppi level for HDV if it requires a high resolution to meet the needs of future folks who view via huge HV TVs. As the saying goes for builders, “measure twice, cut once” that is my motto for anything I do.

The question remains…what is the optimum still-shot pixels per inch for video? I can certainly shoot 300+ for print publication. Is HDV in need of that high or an even higher resolution to be equal, or superior to Hollywood movie/network standards? That is what I am shooting for.

Thanks for your reply and others who have an interest in this aspect of videography.

D.

Participant

Dear jbukhart,

I am blown away. Just to confirm, 72ppi with my Photoshop images set for 16×9 (in.) this is all that is needed for a still for High Definition video?

I know it is “woefully inadequate for most of if not all print applications”. That is why I am asking and double asking this question. It does indeed help that you have written to me about this but it is most disconcerting to me. I just cannot believe, but trust you, that 72 ppi is all that is needed for what we all have been told about HDV!! I appreciate your message and have already done the 72ppi at 16×9 (inches…same aspect ratio) yet am still stunned that 300 or more per inch is not required… especialy if viewed on an HD TV with a huge screen.

Will do. That’s what I have. Thanks so much for your quick turn-around message to me.

All the Best, Diane

Participant

72 dpi is the standard for video, both SD and HD. It always has been, and will look as intended on even the largest of HDTV screens. Coming from a print background, that resolution is woefully inadequate for most if not all print applications. It works just fine for TV though. There is no practical benefit in capturing material higher than 72dpi for any video project in any part of the process. Hope that helps… JB

You’re right about the resolution…. but any software program from photoshop to ilife, to motion picture maker (sorry I don’t know all the pc software available) can take a high res image and down convert it to 16×9 72 dpi. but there are lots of good reasons to shoot at the highest quality available.

You point doesn’t make anymore sense in todays multimedia environment. The practical uses for me, starts with needing to print a dvd cover, but since my business includes video and prints and web, I guess my needs are different. I also find still images, at high res, can be cropped and zoomed and panned, to create wonderful video clips that would require many hours to set up with lighting and dollies and steady cams on video….

Shoot a 5 shot (5x10mp stills) panorama of an empty church before the wedding ceremony for example then pan it, zoom in on special details, etc….

1 camera, 1 tripod, ten minute set up…1 hour after the shoot in post and you got stunning opening and closing video for a wedding video for example.

Participant

Thanks guys,

I have two terybite drives that will work well and will bump up my still shot resolutions for safety sake.

While on the subject of storage….how do I offload clips to my hard drive when the Final Cut Express/iMovie programs want them resident on my HD?

Should I offload once a movie is finished, and/or can I direct the camera upoads to go to the external hard drive for later access?

Finally, a question of where the clips reside as opposed to their showing up in Final Cut Express screen. That being…when I have a clip in my bin is it drawing upon the original resident on my computer or external to draw upon or does it make a copy and put it into the program? That would mean there are duplicates on my resident hard drive…so can I delete one?

I may be way off base here but trust your advice and judgement.

Thank you!!!!

Diane

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap