STIFF Call for Entries

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

We just recently posted our call for submissions for STIFF 2008. I am really excited for this year’s festival. Pete suggested that we start doing a BLOG as we start to kick the meetings off to give people a bit more visibility into the 4th annual Seattle’s True Independent Film Festival and I like the idea of opening things up a bit. There are a few changes to the team this year. Kevin Gilbert stepped down as the program director to focus on acting and I really miss his bald head, but I know that Brian Shelley will be able to successfully take the reigns. I am hoping that Brian and the rest of the screening team will post their thoughts on some of their favorite movies as they start to work their way through the submission process. At times, being a screener can feel like being locked in a closet with a box of cigars, but when you happen to find that movie with nothing on the cover but the name written in black sharpie and it turns out to blow your mind, the feeling is like nothing you can imagine.

In case you haven’t heard about STIFF before, here are some of the things that I think makes our festival really unique. If you are a filmmaker, we’d love to see your movie. If you are a musician or a comedian, we’d love to hear from you too. SUBMIT HERE

STIFF focuses on True Independent Films. We don’t cater to films with celebrities or Hollywood indies.

We specialize in long shorts. Each of our shorts programs is anchored by a short with a runtime that many other fests have a hard time programming (25-45 minute range).

Our venues are truly unique. Each features state of the art projection, and most offer table service with gourmet food, micro brews and cocktail service.

Our goal is to have each submission judged in its entireity by a minimum of three screeners. STIFF is put on by filmmakers who have taken their own films through the festival process and we strive to make it a festival that we would like to submit our own films to.

Each film wins its own unique STIFFY.

We are working with partners to offer unique prizes that we feel are better than ca$h awards. Breakthrough Distribution is sponsoring the Breakthrough Award which includes 2000 professionally authored DVD’s and a possible retail distribution deal. A leading national video rental chain will also be offering a one hour meeting with an acquisitions executive to the winner of the Grand Jury prize (winner will need to cover their own travel).

STIFF Licks adds a ten day music (indie rock, punk, hip-hop) and stand-up comedy festival to the films, turning STIFF into a complete independent entertainment experience.

We keep the price of our badges low to ensure good attendance. We have a very loyal audience that continues to grow each year. The festival and filmmakers get excellent press every year – STIFF was mentioned in CNN’s Indie Guide along with SXSW, and indie staples like Richard Linklater and Mos Def.

Most of all, STIFF is about having fun. Don’t take my word for it though, check out some clips from last year’s fest:

Filmmaker Q&A’s

STIFF Licks

Emmett Montgomery – Awards Ceremony Host

The Briefs

Anton Bogaty

Black Daisy

H is for Hellgate

Ray Nowosielwski 911 Press for Truth

The American Avant Garde

Participant

Hello

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the early deadline for STIFF 2008 is December 1st, which is approaching fast. If you are thinking about submitting your film, do it now and save some money on submission fees!

Also, the STIFF 2007 DVD is now off to the replicator. We expect to have them back in time for the official release party scheduled for the December STIFF Nights (Thursday, December 27th @ 7PM) at Central Cinema. These DVDs feature all of the Weekend Film Challenge Films as well as interviews with filmmakers, musicians and comedians from last years event. Everyone who comes to the release party will receive a free DVD.

If you have any questions, please feel free to shout them out or send an email to contact@trueindependent.org

Thanks,
      Clint Berquist

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap