Sterling Johnston’s Business Approch

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

In another topic I posted the one man team of Sterling Johnston

http://web.me.com/sterlingsidisk/SterlingCanada/Welcome.html

Well I gave some thought to his business approach. He has completed 9 full length movies, he borrowed the funds, produced, sold paid back and had to have some left. But he has succeeded 9 times.

OK I have been wanting to get into full length productions, because I have some awesome ideas. So if he can I can. I am jumping in the deep in of the pool. I am going to make my first full length, post on my site and eBay and sell locally, if I can make even some money pay my actors (so they come back) and do it again. My only issue, I can’t afford the rights to buy even the cheapest music every time, Either I have to brush off my keyboard (I have to buy another) get my kids together to make music or get someone that can onbaord. I have several options, just have to study on it.

Try to find local musicians on craigs list. I’ll bet you’ll find musicians just like you find actors. Don’t let that slow you down.

Participant

My concern is cost and usage rights. People outside the videography business see people like us as big earners like in Hollywood, You call yourself a director and they think George Lucas.

Participant

Greg!

My name’s Jon Acosta, and not only am I a video producer and software trainer myself, but I’m also a musician with my sound designer, Drew.

Any publicity is good publicity and I wouldn’t minding speaking with you about your project…

Have a listen to one of our recents songs that Drew and myself posted on our Soundcloud page and shoot me an email. I’d love to chat…

-Jonathan Acosta

email: jon@acostaproductions.com

portfolio: http://www.jonathanacosta.com

Participant

Hello Jon; I listened to your song. I liked the music, it feel like a 70;s~early 90’s mix. It was what I feel “real” rock is. The music people listen to day hurts my human, things I like in the rock genre, Beatles, Eagles, Bob Seger, Kansas, Styx. I have not listened to hardly any radio for 10 years so I do not know any new groups. I do not know who did vocals but I like the voice, it had a jazzy feel on top of the music it was a nice mix, to my and IMO your style of music with that voice is a good unique combination, I was surprised by the size of your business and projects. Also surprised that you are not on some top 10.

I will get in email with you soon. My wife’s mother went back into hospital last night so I may drop off a few days again.

Greg, I think it is great that you have made this committment to yourself. Creating a feature on a breakeven or better basis is a dream for most all video enthusiasts. Congratulations. I see from your forum posts that you are very familiar with the VM resources, so I am sure you have scoured the advice on the site. I have a couple ideas for your music challenge. First, I have been playing with a music creation site called Musicshake. On this site you cancreate some music on your own or check out music already made. I suspect that the Musicshake creators would be thrilled to be featured in a film. Next, thereis music available through the public domain, since this music is generally old, it might not fir a hip modern style film, however, it is amazing how old music can be updated, so you would not have to pay for songrights. Last, I suggest you check out “$30 Film School” This book is written by an indie film maker whodid exactly what you are trying to do.Iread the book and while some of hisideas were way out there, I still found it full of practical advice for indie zero budget film making. Best of luck and look forward to seeing your posts on this subject.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lenses for video — 2021

Lenses are key to making your favorite camera create the images you envision. These are the best lenses for video available today.
homicide-bootstrap