Steady Cam

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I need some suggestions on equipment that steadies a video camera while taping e.g., walking around at a wedding reception, panning around the bride as she is posing.
      Thanks

Inactive

I often find it convient to pull out the center colum in my tripod, and add ballast weight with a manfrotto superclamp.

Participant

There’s all sorts of things to look into.

Do a quick google search on "$14 stabilizer" or "DIY Figrig". Those are two of the cheapest stabilizers you can build yourself. If you go to codydeegan.com, you can buy plans for a full rig like a steadicam flyrig system, which he says costs around 500 dollars for the budget rig. or if you wanted, you could buy a professional glidecam or steadicam system (either just the gimbal/sled, or a full rig), but that will put you back a pretty penny.

Inactive

I saw a nice item, DVMultiRig at DV Expo yesterday. It’s a nice little system from DVTEC ( http://www.dvtec.tv/ ) and people testing it seemed to like its feel. It can be modified to different modes just by folding parts of the handles different ways (and locking them).

Participant

Think versatility, mobility and stability

What good is a device that is limited in its overall uses? If you’re doing Hollywood that’s one thing, but videography these days requires a lot more than a one trick pony. I wanted a video camera stabilizer that could do a lot of tricks. I own a Quad Pod All in One. Its got amazing versatility so you can use it on a tripod when needed, quick release off to go steady handheld, switch to swivel pod mode for lenthy shoots, all fast on the fly. I can mount 2 video cameras to it or 1 video and 1 still camera. It’s very mobile and goes just about anywhere unlike steady cams. I make more money with it too. Not only is it versatile and mobile its easy a lot of fun to use, and its very steady via 4 point stabilization.

Tom Barrera

Participant

If you still looking for Steadycam design ideas, you’ve got to check this one out, http://www.Steadycam-Pro.com

Participant

I made a $14 DIY poor man’s steady cam. It works alright. It actually cost about $14. It wasn’t very hard to find the parts or to build it. I warn you that you will need a drill bit that can penetrate cast iron. That might cost more than $14. Drilling through the caps was difficult, but not unreasonably…

In any case, the steady cam works, but it isn’t very professional looking. I don’t know if you would mind walking around a wedding with it. Even if you painted it, it might still look like some iron pipes.

Klopex

Inactive

I was just at CES and they have a low end steadicam coming out. I was astounded. It’s so smooth. We shot video of the little chick modeling it.

http://www.youtube.com/Rynnakat – click on Steadycam video

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The Best Bags and Cases

The best camera bags and cases — 2020

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap