Startup Cost

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve made 3 movies for my family and friends and found out that I really enjoy doing this. I am really motivated to by some better equipment and start making better videos. How much money should I spend on average equipment?

Inactive

😯 … Wow loaded question!

You realize that there is no exact answer. You also realize that all of us out here have no idea as to what extent or how involved and deep you want to get into this.

Im just throwing out these rough figures for a higher than average hobbyist, which is what you sound like you want to be.

$2600.00ish for a nice 3-CCD MiniDV camera.
      $500.00ish for a decent fluid head tripod.
      $800.00ish for a very nice basic NLE software solution.
      $1100.00ish for a PC that will handle everything in SD.
      $175.00ish for a decent shotgun mic.
      $675.00ish for a nice UHF wireless combo transmitter/receiver.
      $1000.00ish for a slightly better than average 3-light combo set.
      $250.00ish for a soft camera case.

Then there is added audio software, video composite software, chroma screens, extra lenses, filters, tapes, stabilizers, batteries, refrigerator with beer in it πŸ˜€

As you can see it isnt cheap and could add up real fast. All of the prices above could vary from anywhere between $100.00 to $5,000. As I always say, you get what you pay for and in this racket it’s no different.

Perhaps if you could explain in more detail as to how far you want to go, we could get more realistic with some prices.

Ah. Just call up or head over to B&Hs website get your credit card out and go nuts. If you dont look at the prices, it wont hurt so bad. X-D

RAM

Participant

I tried to convince my company to let me build a "Digital Media Center" that would include video, audio, digital photography, scanning, etc… I worked out the cost to be around $50 for all hardware – including two PC’s, two digital cameras, two video cameras, software (NLE, photo editing, sound manipulation, etc…), digital assets (royalty free video, stills, audio), etc…

Persoanlly, I could spend another $10K easily today for new toys (Sony Z1U, DV standalone deck, mics, software, assets,etc…) and another $10K next week! And that’s just for me (but then I’m a bit greedy).

Inactive

compusolver youre always killin me!

But I was ready for you this time I was using the ish ending. 8)

Really, this poster was kind of vague with his question so I figured I would try but my answer would undoubtedly end up being vague as well. You know and I know also that there could easily be a difference between $100.00 and $5000.00 on any one of these items.

Until he better explains how far he really wants to take this, I (we) will have no real way of giving him a good solid answer. I was more or less figuring on a higher than average hobbyist videographer.

I agree with you though in that the easier question to answer would be how much money do you want to spend?

RAM

Participant

thanks for all of the info. As far as spending money. I thought about spending at least $3,500.

List of equipment that I plan on purchasing.
      Camera- Canon GL2 Mini DV
      PC- mac or windows based. Software for editing.
      microphone-
      Lighting-

Here’s the link to one of the videos I did for my friends fundraiser. I did it for free since it was for a good cause. It’s in windows media player formatt.

http://www.fastride.us/

Inactive

newtovideo,

Now we’re talkin!

Assuming that you don’t need a computer, you actually should be able to do that for what you want to spend. Of course it still kind of depends on what kind of lighting and what type of a mic you’re looking for. If you do your shopping you could come in close to that.

Of course the other unknown question is what are you going to be doing with your videos? This might affect the type of equipment you should get too.

RAM

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses β€” 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap