Starting Up…

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey guys, the name’s Biff and I’m a photographer who wants to learn videography. It seems like videography is different from photography, the rules barely apply and I can’t shoot vertically with a camcorder, I can’t change views too much, I can’t shake it or it will be very annoying to watch, well… let’s just say it’s way more advanced than photography.

I think I need new gear because the Panasonic DVD (RAM compatible) camcorder (VDR M53) I use jumps and skips when hand held, I also can’t figure out how to transfer the DVDs to Adobe Premier Elements… Should I get fresh gear, or should I start with what I have right now?

If I use the old gear, how do I transfer Panasonic format DVDs to a Windows Vista and Adobe Premiere Elements? (The “full” mini-DVD-R I insert seem to be called a “blank” DVD on the PC.) If anyone knows how to do it, it would be really nice if you give some tips.

If I get new gear, should I get a Prosumer NTSC one that’s Standard Definition but has great image quality like the Canon GL2 and upgradable, or should I get something like a Vixia HF or Handycam to start?

Thanks for the info!

Inactive

Hi!!

It looks like that i found the only other persin that have a DVD cam in the forums. well, first, i think you would go well with what you have now. If you REALLY like it, then you should improve your gear.

Second, the way i edit the videos in the dvd is that i FIRST FINALIZE THE DVD (Be sure that you are doing it right!) (If you use a DVD-RW, no need to finalize), then, i put the mini-dvd into my pc and transfer all the videos into a folder, open Sony Vegas Pro 8 and edit happily. =D

Oh, and if you hear that DVD cams are a nighmare and stuff, dont believe! =D

PS. My cam records in the AVCHD format.

Hope have Helped,

Caio

DVD cams that shoot AVCHD are no longer a nightmare. The current iteration of Final Cut Pro even offers editing in that format. So, finally, Shippocaio might have a camera/format that didn’t totally waste money. πŸ™‚

BUT, AVCHD footage is NOT the same quality as true HD footage. Way more compressed, and nothing you do will change that reality.

Format AND camera considerations HAVE to be based on your professional (if professional) and/or personal/amateur needs, wants AND what your prospective clients prefer. The more universal your equipment and format, and editing/production are, the easier it will be if you are looking for commercial production compliance.

Participant

Hhmm… The camcorder I use is a standard def format, it’s not even 16:9. : (

I finally got the DVD finalized and it works on the computer now, but the quality is well, “amateur”. I don’t think it would work well for promoting a travel agency that my sister and I are planning as a business next year. We have to shoot our own travel DVD. (We need it to look Travel Channel-esque…)

So, I guess an upgrade is necessary. What would you guys recommend so I could make decent looking freebie DVDs and maybe Blu-Ray?

Inactive

Once, i shot a “commercial” for the local news about the National Junior Honor Society Chapter of our school. It was a (about) 25 sec video that they showed during the news to invite people to volunteer in the events and etc…

I shot with my DVD cam (Canon HR10) and it didnt looked thaaaaaat bad, you know? of course it wasnt like the quality that the news had (Dhaa… they use professional cams), but it was fairly good…

So, if you want a good image, i don’t know why dont use a consumer HD camera…you will save some thousends of dollars (of course, if you want a pro one, you can buy one…)…because i dont have the money to buy a pro one, but i can do everything that i would do with a pro using my small, consumer, not-shoulder-mounted- HR10…

=D,

Caio

Except be more commercially viable than a 25 second, or less, plug on a tv station that youre lucky didnt flash “amateur video or “home video across while it played.

If you want to establish a viable business you need the right tools. If you are seeking to simply pursue a happy hobbby, then heck they even have disposable camcorders now days.

Inactive

…no, it didn’t flah a”amateur video or “home video. i am sorry i am only a teenager and i dont have thousands of dollars to spend in a cam. PS.: Everybody that saw the video (including the guy in the news that i gave the video) said that it was a awesome video for someone in my age!

Ok..maybe i am not a professional guy, but i accomplished many things that many people didn’t.

O.o,

CAio

Caio…

Sorry, I was yanking your chain more than anything, and I do owe you a sincere apology for that. I am being MOST SINCERE when I say I commend you for what you are doing, and what you are accomplishing with the tools you have at hand.

I did not mean to come off sounding like a big headed smart aleck. I DO appreciate your input, your ambition and your comments. After seeing and reading about what people around the world have done with phone cams, cheap cams and even those disposable ones to which I referred, I’ve no doubt that a determined person with an old hand-crank box can create art, tell a story, deliver a message.

Thanks again.

Inactive

..ok.. =D

Its true… “its not in the camera, but in the cameraman…(and in the lightining too)”

=D,

Caio

Participant

I remember back in the days when I was a professional photographer (news), I couldn’t afford the same gear as many others when I started out so I used what I could afford (Canon FX and then a Ftb-n – finally after years moving up to the F-1) and was able to get many front page photo’s with it (including a NY Post front page).

What matters is not the technology, as that changes fairly quickly and three chip cameras do not make a good videographer (or even a better camera – Look at the Red One). Just this weekend I was at my step-daughters competition (she is in the marching band’s color guard) and there were “professionals” using high end pro cameras and when we viewed the DVD of their perfomance, it was horrible – constant zooms, shakiness, panning all over the place every three seconds, etc…

I used to tell folks I could outshoot them using a Brownie and am pretty confident that was the case – Sure I’d love a Sony PMW-EX3 or Z1U at least but I cannot afford those at this time – But my SR11 gives me better footage than these “pro” cameras give when used by uncle George who claims to be a pro because he has the equipment.

I think it best to hone your skills and go with the best equipment you can afford – Skills are always valuable and grow with you – tools and technology change on a regular basis (did you start on MiniDV, XDCAM, HDCAM, etc… or was it on good old VHS using a tube based camera?).

Participant

Would a Canon Vixia HF10-11 (HD, flash memory) give as good optical quality than that of a Canon GL-2? I really want a camcorder with great detail and DOF.

BTW: I just noticed that the Canon SD1100 P&S I tried out yesterday is better on video than the Panasonic DVD camcorder I have. With less zoom of course…

The optical quality of the Canon GL2 lens, for standard definition and wide screen acquisition is awesome. Does it beat out that of the Vixia models – havent compared to know, but I suspect the GL2 carries superior glass as I look at the lens components in illustrations and web images of both.

I specifically went with Canon XL and GL models because of the quality of Canon glass. I am sure most Canon camcorders at any price range have some advantage over other comparable manufacturer models. I found this to be true when I switched years ago from Panasonic to Canon.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap