Starting from scratch, equipment purchase advice

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

First post to this forum so Ill apologize now for any faux pas.

Short background:

14 year veteran of the video production industry, laid off in April of 2009 after eight years at one of Americas largest for hire production houses. Spending savings to start my own event/wedding/industrial video boutique. Im planning on using a portable editing solution because of my ties to the local event industry and the possibility of on the road post work. I plan to shoot AVCHD to SD cards, post to DVD or Blu-ray.

I would appreciate feedback you may have on the following planned equipment purchases. Money is very tight as you can imagine, so if I spend a few extra dollars on something, the money has to come from a drop in price on something else.

CAMERAS:

• Camera (Main): Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM, $3,999

Note: This camera will also be used for industrial/training video production work with business clients. I like the SDI out in case I need to go to the local production house for tape dubs to a broadcast HD format.

• Camera (Secondary): Panasonic HDC TM-300, $1,023.79
      • Tripods: Davis & Sanford Pro Vista Video Tripod with FM18 Fluid Head, $179.95 each

AUDIO:

• Audio capture: Zoom h4n, $299
      • Lavaliere Mic: Samson QL5-CL, $69.00
      • On Camera audio (Main cam): Included shotgun from Sony, NC
      • On Camera Audio (Secondary cam) : Sennheiser MKE 400, $199.00

LIGHTING:

• On Camera Light: Litepanels Microloght Micro, $297.00
      • Light Kit: Still working on this one.

POST PRODUCTION:

• Computer: Sony VAIO F11, $1984.98

Processor: core i7-720QM
      Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64
      Hard Drive: 320gb 7200 rpm
      Memory: 6gb
      Optical Drive: Blu-Ray burner
      Display: 16.4 1920 1080 display
      Graphics: NVIDIAGeForce GT 330M GPU (1GB VRAM)

• Software: Sony Vegas Pro 9 ($399 option with the computer, seems like a good price for the software)
      • External Drive: LaCie 1TB Little Big Disk Quadra External Hard Drive, esata, Raid 0, $266.95

Theres also a plethora of cables, and other misc gear that I wont bore you with here.

Am I missing anything major as far as the basics?

Can you recommend anything that might work better then what I have listed here?

Ill buy used as the opportunity present itself; do you see anywhere else that I could save a few dollars?

This is my first time buying my own equipment, as opposed to using company equipment, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap