Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews › Forums › Specialty Topics › Wedding and Event Video › Starting from scratch, equipment purchase advice
- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years, 9 months ago by Anonymous.
February 11, 2010 at 8:01 AM #47082AnonymousInactive
First post to this forum so Ill apologize now for any faux pas.
14 year veteran of the video production industry, laid off in April of 2009 after eight years at one of Americas largest for hire production houses. Spending savings to start my own event/wedding/industrial video boutique. Im planning on using a portable editing solution because of my ties to the local event industry and the possibility of on the road post work. I plan to shoot AVCHD to SD cards, post to DVD or Blu-ray.
I would appreciate feedback you may have on the following planned equipment purchases. Money is very tight as you can imagine, so if I spend a few extra dollars on something, the money has to come from a drop in price on something else.
- Camera (Main): Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM, $3,999
Note: This camera will also be used for industrial/training video production work with business clients. I like the SDI out in case I need to go to the local production house for tape dubs to a broadcast HD format.
- Camera (Secondary): Panasonic HDC TM-300, $1,023.79
- Tripods: Davis & Sanford Pro Vista Video Tripod with FM18 Fluid Head, $179.95 each
- Audio capture: Zoom h4n, $299
- Lavaliere Mic: Samson QL5-CL, $69.00
- On Camera audio (Main cam): Included shotgun from Sony, NC
- On Camera Audio (Secondary cam) : Sennheiser MKE 400, $199.00
- On Camera Light: Litepanels Microloght Micro, $297.00
- Light Kit: Still working on this one.
- Computer: Sony VAIO F11, $1984.98
Processor: core i7-720QM
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64
Hard Drive: 320gb 7200 rpm
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray burner
Display: 16.4 1920 1080 display
Graphics: NVIDIAGeForce GT 330M GPU (1GB VRAM)
- Software: Sony Vegas Pro 9 ($399 option with the computer, seems like a good price for the software)
- External Drive: LaCie 1TB Little Big Disk Quadra External Hard Drive, esata, Raid 0, $266.95
Theres also a plethora of cables, and other misc gear that I wont bore you with here.
Am I missing anything major as far as the basics?
Can you recommend anything that might work better then what I have listed here?
Ill buy used as the opportunity present itself; do you see anywhere else that I could save a few dollars?
This is my first time buying my own equipment, as opposed to using company equipment, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.
- The forum ‘Wedding and Event Video’ is closed to new topics and replies.