sport recording

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

what is a good camera to use for all type of sports in a HD style

Participant

There are way too many variables in sports recording to make a recommendation without more info.

1) Do you need to be able to swap out lenses (extra long telephoto)?

2) Will you be recording inside or out?

3) For stabilization purposes, will the camera be on your shoulder, a rig, a tripod or just hand held?

4) What are your audio needs?

5) Most importantly, what is your budget? ($1,000 or $50,000)?

Participant

thanks birdcat

I right now have been shooting basketball and football. some times I film someone work out but I know that I am going to get more calls for other sports to do. I was looking for a HD camera that can do what I need to do with out breaking the bank because will need 2 or 3. it will be on a tripod or hand held. audio is not a big need. I was using a canon XL1.

Krl,

If you’re in a serious budget pinch, believe it or not take a look at a good point and shoot camera. Many of the major brands have outstanding optics and use nearly the same chips as their prosumer models. I’ve been using a Canon SD1400IS (soon to be discontinued, don’t ask me why) to supplement my Pro JVC HD rig.

The PnS shoots good looking SD and surprisingly good HD video @ 720p. After running the footage through AFX or an NLE to change it to uncompressed QT or AVI, it blends with my pro footage quite well. I’ve been putting it on the sides of cars, all over my mountain bike, you name it. Kitting it out with extra batteries, a small Joby pod (works great for steady handheld), extra media cards and even a Zoom H1 (for clean sync audio) and a nice camera bag kept the price tag well under $400. Now, it’s the first rig I reach for and I don’t go anywhere without it

There are many great brands and right now, your thing is to ‘get the job done’. Now yeah, it would look cool to show up with a camera on your shoulder, but I’ve worked with the XL1s since it came out. You need a lot of extra gear to work that camera to it’s potential. That costs money and time to acquire. The great thing about PnS cameras is you can shoot video or stills on the fly. I’m constantly switching back and forth during a shoot as the situation allows. The thing is; you do want to look like you know what you’re doing. Now, when I show up and pull out my PnS, I’ve kitted it out beyond what a ‘Happy Snapper’ would ever think of and they can see my expertise in the footage. And, it didn’t cost me an arm and leg to set up. Something to think about.

Here’s a link to see some of the available PnS cams:

Point and Shoot video capable still cameras

Participant

thankscomposite1I use a canon t2i but it does not last long like a video camera

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap