splitting a video signal

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

This is my first post here, so first of all, hello everybody.
      Now to my question. I record our church services in a fairly low-tech manner. I record to a hard drive by running the DV out through firewire into a laptop running WinDV. Yesterday our administrative pastor asked if there was a way of splitting the signal so that we could provide a live feed to a couple of screens in the foyer. We are only using a consumer-grade Sony camcorder (I cannot remember the model but it is a couple of years old.) Is something like this possible, or is there some type of hardware that we could buy, or should we just wait until we can upgrade our entire production arrangement? TIA.

Inactive

I don’t recall the camera model number. But we record the sound through the 1/8" AV port. This is the port that you would normally use to connect to a TV (1/8" to RCA cable required). It’s a bidirectional port. We convert 1/4" output from the mixer down to 1/8" and put it in there. (It does not bypass the onboard mic though, so what we get is actually a combination of the mixer and the camera mic – we have to be really quiet.)

Inactive

The easiest way would be to connect the av cable (usually a three ringed mini jack, with three rca plugs on a short cable) for your camcorder to the camcorder, then run the audio/video (rca jacks) to a vcr, then a splitter from the vcr to 2 screens. (you could run without the vcr if it is for a short distance with just a y splitter on each rca jack, but why not have the vcr to record a back up?).

Inactive

The dificulty with that (and I should have mentioned it in my original post) is that the AV out is also the audio-in from a small mixer that we use for the sound. I am thinking we need a different camera at least.

Inactive

if you were using a Mac I’d suggest using quartz composer, and a video out adapter….using the video out as a second monitor, a couple patches with QC and you got a second feed with the ability to genlock titles and apply video effects to a live video feed.

don’t know a thing about what to do with windoze though.

Participant

If your Sony camcorder also has a D/V in out on it like my Digital 8 does, I plug the D/V in out cord into my camcorder, on the other end of the cord you should have red audio, white audio, and yellow video RCA Plugs.

I would run these into the IN jacks on the back of a VHS VCR make sure that your VCR is tuned to the correct channel or line in function every VCR is different some have LINE IN or some other way to activate this function. from there you can run a coaxial cable from the back of your VCR to a Splitter and go to your TV sets. If I use Screens or devices that don’t have a coaxial cable input( like a video projector), I hook my coaxial cable back into a VCR( What this does is hooks two VCRs together one on each end of the coaxial cable) then I run RCA cables from my VCR out jacks to my video screen. Kinda low tech too but it works. You just have to make sure all of your line in, line outs, and channels are correct. I use this at our church and I run the coaxial cable over 500 feet between VCRs. One trick I found when activating the VCR next to my camera I just put a tape in the VCR and push play it will activate your coaxial out on your VCR to the VCR on the other end as long that VCR is on Channel 3 then your line out RCA jacks should work to your Screen inputs.

You can eliminate the VCRs by going to Big Lots or Radio Shack probably has them too, they make
      a video convertor that coverts coaxial inputs to RCA outputs for monitors that don’t have coaxial cable input output.

Participant

A little late on my reply, What is the number and type of your Sony?
      How do you input sound with the camcorder other
      than thru the Mic jack when you are in camcorder mode. I never have been able to do that with
      any of my 3 Sonys.

Participant

There is so many technicalities involved, and we are struggling through them without knowing your equipment, step by step. I may suggest to split the task in two parts:

1. Video signal – see if you can use simultaneously firewire and video outputs on the camcorder,
      or see if you can use video output in your computer (if you have no video out in your computer, you may install video card with a composite or S-Video out);

2. Audio signal – since you are using a mixer, split audio after the mixer, so one wire would go into camcorder, another – into amplifier to play audio for the screens.

Shoot-It-Yourself Wedding Video Guide

Inactive

After a little more digging, I think I may have come upon a solution. Let me run this past the experts. I keep seeing mentioned a Beachtek adapter that some are using to add XLR ports to their cameras. So I checked out their site and found the DXA-2s that says it can take either line or mic input and pass that to the mic input on the camera. I am sure I can either get an XRL feed from the mixer, or adapter the 1/4" to XRL. Run this through the Beachtek and into the mic input. That frees up the AV port for the screen feed, and I still have the firewire going to the computer. Am I correct in my reasoning?

Inactive

The ports I have available are a mic port (unused at this time), AV port (1/8" stereo + video currently used as input from mixer, but wish to use to feed the foyer screens), IEEE1394 (firewire going to computer for hard drive capture), headphone and USB (both irrelevant to this discussion).
      My thinking is to replace the feed from the mixer to the AV port with the mixer feeding to the Beachtek and the Beachtek going to the mic input. The Beachtek is switchable between line and mic level, so I would select line. This frees up the AV port so that I can output the audio and video for the foyer.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap