special FX

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello everyone. Does anyone here have any experience with Adobe After Effects? If so what kind of effects are possible with this software? More specifically I was wondering if its possible to create muzzle flash effects with it, how about color correction? And does anyone know of any program that works better than After Effects? Thanks.

Inactive

AE is a full featured program. If you’re wanting some good examples of the coolness of the program then check out this guy’s reel…

http://www.justinharder.com/#

Oh, and the movie Sharkboy and Lavagirl was composited almost entirely in After Effects.

Not a beginner level software program, kiddies.

Participant

After Effects is very consumer friendly; but if you want something better than you should go for Combustion.

After Effects is great but Combustion is After Effects on steroids. Its the professional version anyways.

They pretty much go in order:

Combustion

Smoke

Flame

Inferno

There might be something after inferno, not sure.

Think of it this way; the graohics down in AVP were done in Inferno.

Participant

is that real stuff, each of those??? Inferno is a program?

Participant

More specifically I was wondering if its possible to create muzzle flash effects

There are a couple guys here in MN who do some short movies and other stuff. They happen to have some tutorials on their website that could perhaps help you out with the muzzle flashes. Here you go.
      http://www.quantumpetshop.com Hope it helps.

Phil
      http://www.altaregoproductions.com

Inactive

Yes, Matt, they’re real. Kinda all keying on the “fire” theme, huh?

Participant

After Effects is good though; you can do a lot with it.

You can also get lots of tutorials on adobe’s website.

Participant

Also, I have used projects from aeprojects.biz which have helped me kickstart doing something of my own.. they are royalty free and some even have a free music track embedded… check this one out…

http://aeprojects.biz/Particle_Fractal_FlyThrough2.php

If you have after effects this could be a good resource for an editor like me who really isn’t a motion graphic designer…

cheers

Inactive

hey, check videocopilot.net. … its the best af tutorials site. their program are the best!

P.S.: Everything is possible with after effects!

Participant

DVine,

Smoke isn’t really a compositing program, it’s mostly and editing and finishing system if I recall correctly. And to imply that AE isn’t a professional program is just mistaken. It is the professional TV/Video industry standard for motion graphics, and has been for many years.

BadMojo,

Of the programs that Dvine mentioned the only one that is probably in your price range is Combustion. Like After Effects, it retails for around 1k I believe. If you are on the MAC platform an alternative to both of these is Apple Shake, which goes for about half that price. The other applications on the list are not considered software solutions but dedicated turnkey hardware systems and are usually measured in the tens of thousands of dollars.

I have used both after effects and combustion in the past. After Effects is not really a full featured compositing program, it is a motion graphics program with compositing features. If you want to create on air graphics of any kind then AE is the professional standard period end of story. In addition you can perform compositing, color correction, motion tracking and image stabilization as well.

Combustion on the other hand is a full-featured compositing application with motion graphics features. Combustion features the Discreet keyer, this is the same keying tech that is used on their higher end solutions like Flame. Combustion is really geared to be a competing product to AE, and also a bridge for the higher end solutions, in fact it used to be the paint program for Flame.

They have two very different ways of working, and I couldn’t say one is completely better than the other, they really are geared towards different areas of the same environment. Keep in mind that they are both really major pieces of professional software that will require a major effort to become proficient at and are not intended to be plug and play solutions to your issue.

If muzzle flashes and color correction is all you want the program for you might want to check out lower end/non-pro software that does that. I remember that there were threads a while back listing several programs for creating muzzle flashes and your editing system should be able to do color corrections.

Participant

I second everything Jerron said above.

After Effects is just plain awesome and it’s what the pros use.I personally have never found a job that required Smoke, Flame or Inferno knowledge, or even Combustion if I remember right.

For a muzzle flash tutorial, there’s a great one on this very site at http://www.videomaker.com/article/13748/which is the tutorial for the August 2008 issue of Videomaker. The october issue has a tutorial about how to make the Light Saber effect also in After Effects. Through out this year, there have been many other After Effects tutorials in Videomaker from 2.5D animation (February) toDVD Motion Menus (May, I think).

Participant

>>I personally have never found a job that required Smoke, Flame or Inferno knowledge, or even Combustion if I remember right.<<

Yeah, unless you are going to do really, really high end compositing work for film and television you probably won’t ever see this software listed on gigs.

Participant

thanks for help

Participant

One of the best sites that shows what can be done (and how to do it) using AE is Video Co-Pilot – This site alone has convinced me that AE needs to be in my toolbox (just gotta wait until CS4 Production Bundle is in the budget).

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best microphone for video production — 2020

Whether you’re recording audio for a commercial, a wedding or your next feature film, you need the best microphone possible.
homicide-bootstrap