Sound in new studio is HORRIBLE…any ideas?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Sound in new studio is HORRIBLE…any ideas?

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Can anyone give me advice on the best and cheapest way to improve sound in this room that I am turning into a small full time video studio. Right now audio sounds terrible. Very loud, echo-y, harsh.

Here are two pics of my studio space and what i am working with:

http://wemarketbuilders.com/video-studio.html

I was thinking of buying some foammattresspads from walmart and hanging on the walls, but if anyone has any better ideas, I would greatly apreciate hearing them!

Thank you in advance!

Kelley
      ooomah@yahoo.com

Participant

Yes, I would get some “Egg shell” foam. Even cover the door and make a window cover.

Participant

Try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV5Rl-IK-eo&feature=player_embedded

Participant

Yup, I agree with everyone’s comments

http://www.foambymail.com/Eggcrate.html

It’s important to understand that egg crate from doesn’t make a room sound proof. All it does is reduce or eliminate reverberation or echo caused by sound waves bouncing off the walls.

There are many things that need to be done to actually sound proof a room, and they’re all quite expensive.

Participant

Thank you everybody for your quick responses. The foambymail.com website looks like it has good prices. Question: Does every inch of the walls need to be covered? Or can you alternate strips of wall and foam? Is it necessary to put it on the ceiling too?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Kelley

Participant

I’d cover all walls entirely and ceiling. If you really want to go nuts, I’d look at some images of anechoic chambers, although, that may be over kill for what your’e trying to do. You’re just trying to prevent sound from bouncing off the walls…

Participant

I’d cover as much of the ceiling as possible.

heavy drapes on the windows, movers blankets, throw rugs or carpet for the floor, then if needed some strips on the larger expanses of wall…

Participant

There is a atricle on here somewhere about making a gorilla type sound booth out of moving blankets that works really well. I turned part of my basement into a sound booth this way and it isolates a lot of noise otherwise.

Participant

Gorilla type echo reduction I have done was buying those inexpensive Fleece blankets, usually 4×5 or 4×6 foot size. I make a frame using 1×2 and stretch the blanketoverit front to back covering the back of the frame.Then hang them on the wall. This gives me about a 3/4 inch gap between fabric and wall. This does a fair job of cutting the echos and you add them as you need to.

These blankets usually have a scene of some type so you have something nice to look at as well.

Participant

Hi,

If the budget is low use cheap white styrofoam 1 inch thick this can work also suspended drapes.

Main adavantage styrofoam over coark can be painted using water base acrylic paint (regular water base paint).

Regards,

YR

Participant

It is a low budget project. Thank you everybody for some great ideas! Very helpful!!

Kelley

Participant

In addition to obvious acoustic foam, no right angles. Thats what causes bounce. You don’t have to take sound classes to mend this… it’s just a matter of placing objects and hanging coolness to dampen and deflect.

Participant

saintkelley, I couldn’t tell but it looks like there is some sort of carpet on the floor, not tile or paint etc. Carpet would be much better than hard surfaces. As far as the ceiling is concerned perhaps you could hang sheets or some sort of fabric with grommetsto some screw hooks attached to the beams on the ceiling for sound dampening. If you needed just an area as a sound booth, instead of covering the whole room, you might consider just one corner to be the sound booth. Doing the walls and ceiling there and making two portable partitions one for the other sidewall and one for the back wall. This would drastically cut down on the amount of sound dampening materials that you would need to purchase.Since the added walls are portable they could be moved allowing the use of the space for shooting. In addition if the covering of the fixed walls and the ceilingcould be fastened temporarily with screw hooks or other fastening device, they could be removed to allow other uses for the space when not recording sound. Hope this helps. keep shooting.

Participant

Awesome tips from everyone! Thank you!!!

Participant

Just a couple of points to add here:

a) be aware that generally the thicker the acoustic foam or tiles, the lower frequencies it will absorb.

b) Dense acoustic foam is far more effective than standard foam

c) Rigid fibreglass such as used in duct lining is very effective

d) Corners build up bass frequencies so placing your thickest absorbers there can help

e) ordinary egg cartons (as opposed to the egg carton shaped acoustic foam) are absolutely useless except for absorbing very high frequencies.

f) avoid totally square enclosures with parrallel walls if at all possible

• Viewing 14 reply threads

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition,...
    homicide-bootstrap