Sound files: download MP3 or buy the CD?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Sound files: download MP3 or buy the CD?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris
      Participant

OK all you audio wizards,

A lot of sound effects and music come on either a CD or a an MP3 256K bitrate download.

Is the MP3 sufficient for high end video production? Or should i buy the CD for the maximum quality?

Thanks.

Ryan3078
      Participant

With the CD you’ll get the full quality version – suitable for high end. If it’s just for online work, mp3 is fine.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Always, Always get the highest quality audio/video/images, etc. that you can reasonably afford and store. You never know when you may need it for something else. We produce a national television program and occasionally look for independently produced projects to air. Due to the compression that occurs in the satellite uplink, it is very important for our audio and video to be of the highest quality we can get. We do our best to never work with anything that has been compressed (beyond the normal compression that happens within the camera). Who knows; one of your productions may be seen somewhere and have an opportunity to be shown to an audience that you never imagined it would.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Given a choice between good quality and bad one would, of course, choose good. However, mp3 gets a bum rap, it isn’t bad quality. I’ve been working in recording studios everyday for 38 years now and I never stop being amazed at the number of people who trash mp3. I’ve had people take the pepsi challenge with mp3, wav, and aiff, with good headphones and they pick the compressed version correctly about 50%. In other words, they are guessing. If it has long extended notes with an orchestra or a dominate ride cymbal (high freqs) its pretty noticeable. Outside of that, not so much. kburgess makes a good point, however, about multiple compressions. If things are being transferred multiple times, then you’ll have problems.

Anonymous
      Inactive

OK all you audio wizards, A lot of sound effects and music come on either a CD or a an MP3 256K bitrate download. Is the MP3 sufficient for high end video production? Or should i buy the CD for the maximum quality? Thanks.

You should try and get the best quality you can so WAV or AIFF file is best so it’s uncompressed audio but the MP3 should do the trick just as well as they really are pretty good. The MP3 will actually work pretty well when kept in the high end format.

One thing to remember when you are using an MP3 file at a high bitrate then later compress it you will introduce more unwanted atrifacts into the audio so it will start to sound worse the further compressed it gets. If you start with the WAV file you get a much better result at the end because it’s working from an uncompressed original (lossless format).

There are some really neat tricks you can do with quicktime pro (and probably other programs) that I’ve heard of that gives you superb sounding audio whilst keeping a really fast streaming video (for online usage). I think you need to compress the audio seperately (starting with a WAV or AIFF file) using the AAC format then interleave the video and audio file together at the end so they are basically compressed at different rates. I’ve heard the results of this and it is really stunning!

faqvideo
      Participant

Compression does the same to the music that the drying out does to the food.

Place dried fruits in the water. They will restore original shape and mass, but never the same taste and texture.

Shoot-It-Yourself Wedding Video

Chris
      Participant

You guys are the best! Thanks.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Sound’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best cinema cameras — 2021

Determining the best cinema cameras on the market today can be complicated. Here are the first cameras you should consider
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN