SONYDCR-TRV285E Good Enough?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi there! I am planning on making short films with the Sony 285E. Do you think that this is a good enough camera to film outside and inside? Does anyone have experience with the video and sound quality? Maybe I’m crazy to think that I’ll be able to do a kinda Smallville or Alias type of work with this cam but if you add good lighting, sound and video editing will it get there? Do you recommend that I connect via Firewire rather than USB and use a SCSI hard drive? With what software does the CGI guys add effects? Many thanks for your time! Sorry if I repeated some questions here.

Inactive

For underground film… any camera is better than just no camera. As long as you have the idea and the vision… nothing can stop you.
      But keep in mind that the NLE and CGI software, the lighting kit, sound accesories and perhaps PC upgrades will cost you maybe five times the price of that camcorder.

Also, you should learn some more about DV, if you’re asking about connecting the camera through Firewire or USB.

Participant

Yep, you are right about that. It’s the accessories that’s expensive. But you must see what my electrician buddies can rig up for lighting. It is tricky but the Internet is very helpful, just like videomaker.com

I kinda wanted to see the response from that usb vs firewire question. Firewire is faster, the throughput is better. I don’t know much about DV but I do know some stuff about computers. I’ve got an AMD 64bit 3000+ with 1GB Ram, that is not too bad. I’m now saving for Adobe Premier. Can you recommend other editing software that has great features and not that expensive? Sometimes an Ebay search can also prove to be useful…

Participant

A good storyline, good camera work, and good editing do more for a video than any kind of quality that’s available.

You can have the best equipment money can buy and still produce a bad story that nobody will watch.

If I-Robot, shawshank redemption, or any other great production were filmed with a handycam, I can’t say I’d care because the story, camera work and editing were good.

I would search for a quality audio setup however. Most people can deal with poor quality picture, but bad audio will distract even the best movie.

that’s my thoughts on the subject~cya

Participant

definately use firewire to capture with, its soo much better qualitywise. USB tends to leave artifacts on the video. For web use, USB is the better choice, but if your going to make DVD’s go with firewire to capture AVI format video. In my opinion there is just no other way to capture quality video.

Inactive

Pokerface is right, never use USB for capture.

Inactive

svhs Wrote:

For underground film…

What do you classify as “underground”

Participant

doxa,

I just re-read your origional post, and you mentioned CGI effect. I think that you will find that although they are fun to play with, very few in the consumer market are going to be of convincing quality. You will know it’s fake, and so will your audience, and as you put some time in editing, you will find that the best effects are created by you and some creative camera/ lighting work. Personally, when I see a film with bad or even average CG it irritates me, and makes the film look cheap, but thats just my opinion. I don’t want it to sound like I’m raining on anyone’s parade, so I say go try some CGI’s and see how they integrate in with what you are doing, and have fun! that’s what all this is about anyways.

Inactive

zax Wrote:

svhs Wrote:

For underground film…

What do you classify as “underground”

Amateur. Non-Hollywood. Just a guy and his cam. Not necessarily illegal or imoral.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap