Sony Z1U Power Outage …

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I was shooting with my Z1U today with the BEBOB Power Converter and the LUX DV On Camera light. I hadn’t realized that I accidentally plugged the power tap in upside down. I didn’t even know that you could. When I hit the power button on the light…poof! The entire camera power went down…nothing! I changed batteries…still nothing.
      I politely excused myself from the shoot. Luckily, I was shooting something personal for myself and made arrangements to pick up the shoot another day.
      I loaded went home and started troubleshooting. I called around to see if anyone had dealt with this before and became alarmed to hear it could be an expensive fix. I heard everything from blown fuses to replacing circuit boards. Worse yet, the camera would have to be shipped to Southern California from Dallas for the repair.
      On a lark, I got the owners manual out and went through the trouble shooting guide. It suggested hitting the "Reset Button."
      I did, but used one of the batteries I had with me on the shoot….still nothing. Now I’m getting very worried about an expensive and time consuming repair. I went back one more time and re-read the manual. It also said after resetting the camera to wait 60 seconds. I reset the camera again, waited 60 seconds, used a fresh battery staright off the charger and "presto" the camera powered up!
      I was telling my wife the story and she suggested I post the story on a message board just in case this ever happens to anyone else.
      I’m paying my good fortune forward. It’s a lesson I’ll only learn once. Always…always check to make sure the power tap is plugged in correctly.

Inactive

That’s good information. I currently have the FX1 and am looking to get a Z1U. I’ll put that in my memory bank. Thanks for sharing.

Participant

I realize you did this post a year ago, but I just stumbled acrossed it. Thank you regardless. I will be sure to mark that reset page in my Z1U manual.

Sideways

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap