Sony Z1U & V1U Image Sensors

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      treediz
      Participant

I am looking at these two cameras and most people I have talked to prefer the CMOS image sensors on the V1U as opposed to the CCD image sensors on the Z1U…the thing I am curious about is the picture quality, the CMOS sensors are 1/4” and the CCD sensors are 1/3”…wouldn’t you naturally assume since the CCDs have larger image sensors that the picture quality is better? Or how would you percieve this dilemma?

Anonymous
      Inactive

As an FX-1 owner/user I’m about to jump on the V1U after much research.
      I had the same thoughts as you and coming from a still imaging background, I’ve always known that larger sensors have the ability to give you better images but based on everything I’ve read and some test footage I’ve seen, I believe the V1U has the FX-1[Z1U] beat.

I’ve always liked CMOS better than CCD in DSLR’s but I think you should look at some test images if you can before you listen to me.

One thing to think about if it matters to you is the V1U will give you better results in darker shooting situations.
      One advantage of the larger sensor in this case.

I think the biggest thing for me is in the interlace vs progressive and because I’m looking at that my judgment may be somewhat off center.
      So again I say test the footage if you can.

KevinShaw
      Participant

hidef1080 Wrote:

One thing to think about if it matters to you is the V1U will give you better results in darker shooting situations.

Correction: it’s the FX1 which has the larger sensors and hence better low-light response. Also note that a larger sensor gives you better depth of field control, which is something I noticed when I switched from my Canon GL1/GL2 (1/4" sensor) to the Sony FX1 (1/3" sensor).

Anonymous
      Inactive

Kevin Shaw Wrote:

hidef1080 Wrote:

Correction: it’s the FX1 which has the larger sensors and hence better low-light response. Also note that a larger sensor gives you better depth of field control, which is something I noticed when I switched from my Canon GL1/GL2 (1/4" sensor) to the Sony FX1 (1/3" sensor).

You are correct.

I wanted to say the Z1 gives better low light….

Thanks. 8)

kyles
      Participant

Keep in mind that the cmos need a lot more light than CCD’s and 1/4” chips tend to make the image look slightly dim, but you would have to look at it closly to notice. Also keep

In mind that cmos are not new tecnology they have been around a while. It just comes down to waht you prefer.

Anonymous
      Inactive

We purchased a v1u a couple of months ago and CMOS is definitely less sensitive than CCD,
      BUT the gain does not show noise until it’s pretty high (around9dB)
      forusisanonissuesinceweuseitmostlyinstudio,outdoor/daylight
      orforstage shooting.OntheotherhandthereareTONSofthingIlovefromthiscam,
      theimageispristine(we areshootingashowthatairsoncableeverymonth
      andisdoneongreenscreenwithvirtualsetswithUltra2 on DV).
      YoucansaveEVERITHINGon20cameraprofilesonMemoryStickDuoand2onthecameraitself.
      The camera has so many configurable features that you NEED to use the profiles.
      Assisted Focusingispremium(weweregoingtobuytheJVC110justforthat).
      WearestillworkingonSDbutgrowingintoHDwiththiscamersoundsveryattractive.

Hopeithelps

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap