Sony Vegas Pro only opens ‘X’ percent

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Sony Vegas Pro only opens ‘X’ percent

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

This is an ongoing issue I have been havingwith 8.0a,b and now c. I work on a project, save it, and later when I want to work more, I open it and it only opens to 3% or 11% or whatever. Then it just sits there looking stupid.

I have to force Vegas closed and try another one. And another maybe…. and so on until I find one that works then start over from wherever I was THEN, unless I can use rendered footage from ‘bad’ save when I WAS open.

It’s just happened again. I lost about 6 hours work because I didn’t have time to render (wasn’t ready anyway), assuming I even find ANY that will open.

Same machines as other post, does it on both randomly as far asI can see.

I DO save often. On a 3 minute video, rough draft (very crude) I’ll have 80 – 100 saves. Also – trying the backup files never helps. If 88.veg won’t open, neither will 88.veg.bak either.

Inactive

what type of media is on the timeline? do you have media manager running? Is your media on a different drive? Anti-Virus software running? there can be many things that can cause your issue.

John

Inactive

Mostly AVIs. Xvid, Lagarith. Pictures in JPG and BMP. WAV audio.

Media Manager is not installed.

Vegas is installed on C:, all project files are on D:, in same folder, all named same on both PCs. Saves that open have no problem finding files.

AVG anti-virus, no complaints from it.

Inactive

Tried re-install (repair) od Vegas. No help.

I just had an idea, I moved all video files to another folder, intending to tell Vegas to “Leave the files offline” assuming it could launch.

Didn’t help, so I added the pictures and so on….

Nothing helped until I was down to only the few save files I was launching, so THEY must be corrupt somehow.

Launching the .BAK backups makes no difference. I CAN launch Vegas alone fine, but then it can’t open the saves in question.

QUESTION

Is it possible to save Vegas projects in another format?

Inactive

OK. I answered one of my own questions – yes, there several other save formats. I saved with those and then re-openedthem, and they work, but they only seemed to save the clip LOCATIONS in the timeline. There were NO settings or effects or anything. Somewhat usefull.

I just uninstalled Vegas, emptied it’s install folder and re-installed. Now it seems to be opening files OK.

πŸ™‚

Inactive

AND the very next day it started NOT opening again. It SEEMS to be a user problem, since on both machines if I log onto a different user and launch the same saved file – it opens fine.

When it happens again on THIS user I’ll just switch AGAIN.

I am monitoring the registry (HKEY CURRENT USER blah blah blah SONY) for changes. Maybe I’ll catch a difference when it happens again. Something I can change BACK. I hope.

Inactive

check the permissions on the user accounts. I am not sure that will be the ultimate solution, because you say it opens a little then stops…. but definitely check the permissions and ensure that they are the same or set the way they need to be for all accounts necessary.

John

Inactive

Good idea, butthe user I normally use has full permissions. though the one that WORKS is the original administrator. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm……..

Hal,

Did you ever get Media Manager back up when you reinstalled? I ask because on one of our old workhorses to make room on the harddrive we removed the media manager and the library from Sony Acid 5 freeing up about 600MB. Later, we installed the full Sony suite (Soundforge 9, Vegas 7) but the library never came back up with the new installations even after we upgraded to Vegas 8. I mention this because this unit is still active and it hangs on startup of the program because it’s looking for the library. Once it give the error message; ‘Media Library not found’ then it continues on. No amount of reinstallation of any of the programs including Acid has revived the library. It may be a longshot, but that might be part of the problem. We’ve never encountered any of the problems you’ve mentioned most likely because we only use the unit for SD editing.

BTW,

Just as a test, create another account on your computer and see if you have the same problem. When we put another account for an editor on our unit, the media library and media manager came up with no prob. It’s an odd workaround, but worth a try.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best camcorders for any video shooter β€” 2021

Professional camcorders are often smaller, lighter, cheaper, and have more controls than other cameras. These are the best on the market today.
homicide-bootstrap