Sony Vegas Movie Studio vs. Pinnacle Studio 9

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Sony Vegas Movie Studio vs. Pinnacle Studio 9

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am a newbie who owns Pinnacle Studio 9 (intend to make DVDs from home movies and produce photo slideshows on DVD). I have been advised on several discussion boards to look instead at Vegas Movie Studio, due to its stability compared to Pinnacle. I am not beholden to Pinnacle. Frankly, I am worried about computer snags and crashes with Pinnacle. Is there someone who has used both that would be willing to advise me on this? Or someone who knows anything about this? (The Sony Vegas users also tell me a Sony Vaio desktop will work just fine with the Sony Studio software. That would certainly be less expensive than what I have been looking at in an effort to purchase a computer that will handle Pinnacle with ease.)

Inactive

I use Pinnacle Studio 9 (Plus version) and I haven’t had a single problem. I have been to the Pinnacle user forums, and granted, there are a lot of posts from people who have all kinds of problems. What you rarely see there are posts from people praising the product because they have no problems whatsoever. But that’s the whole reason for the user forums: to get help with problems.

I’ve tried Sony Vegas Movie Studio, and I’ll be darned if I can really figure it out. I’m not a novice, and I always read software instruction manuals from cover to cover. Here’s the thing: I installed Sony Vegas Movie Studio AFTER I had already been using Pinnacle Studio 8 SE. There is no comparison in the user interface, as Compusolver points out. Pinnacle Studio is MUCH easier to use and master, and version 9 Plus does just about everything Vegas Movie Studio does, I believe. So I was already “spoiled” by the ease of use of Pinnacle Studio before trying out Vegas Movie Studio. I put the Sony product aside and purchased Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus.

As stated above, I started out with Pinnacle Studio 8 SE, a trimmed-down version of Studio 8 that came bundled with my DVD burner. After having spent about $100 on Sony Vegas Movie Studio + DVD, I decided to spend yet another $100 on Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus. You can almost figure out the program without a users manual, although I am not advocating this. And you can author and burn DVD’s right from within the Studio 9 interface.

ANY software is capable of having bugs or problems working on ANY computer. Keep in mind that video editing is the most processor-intensive job you can do on a home PC, regardless of the software.

You may or may not be right about Sony Vegas Movie Studio being more stable than Pinnacle Studio 9, I don’t know. I have both, but I haven’t used the Sony product much at all due to frustration in trying to master it. Again, I’ve had no problems using Studio 9. Keep in mind that for any problems you may encounter with Studio 9, there is probably a fix. I say probably, but don’t hold me to it.

Inactive

Thanks to both of you for thoughtful and helpful responses. What do you have for computer specs that makes Pinnacle work smoothly for you? Do you mind sharing that with me next? Thanks!

Inactive

I have a Dell Pentium 4, 1.70 GHz, 512 MB RAM (just recently upgraded from 256 MB), 80 GB hard drive, NVidia GeForce3 128 MB video card.

Everything worked fine even before I upgraded from 256 to 512 MB RAM.

The computer is 3 years old, as you may be able to tell from the fact that the processor is only 1.70 GHz. No problems running video editing software, but rendering the video after editing takes forever as you might expect. A faster processor may help, and any new computer these days would leave my processor in the dust. But rendering is a painfully long process with any processor. Many people render their video before they go to bed and just let the computer crank through the night. How long a video takes to render depends on its length and complexity (menu, transitions, audio, etc).

I don’t know if my computer in itself is what makes Pinnacle Studio run smooth. On the flip side of that coin, I don’t know what makes other people have problems. Is it their computer? Or is it other software that somehow conflicts with Studio? Is it modifications or tweaks they did to the operating system? Is it something wrong they did when they upgraded from older versions of Studio to newer versions? All of these questions are impossible to answer.

Bottom line: go with what you feel comfortable with, not something you’re afraid you might have problems with. Just keep in mind that Pinnacle Studio can have its share of bugs, just like any other software. Also keep in mind that it’s probably the easiest to learn and use while still retaining MANY features of other video editing applications. BUT – if you’re afraid, go with one of the others. They’re certainly not impossible to learn. There are many rumors that Pinnacle Studio is the buggiest one of them all, but it’s also probably one of the top sellers out there.

You said in your original post that you already own Pinnacle Studio. Have you used it yet? Any problems? Are you shopping for a new computer? Don’t get hung up on what computer specs will make Pinnacle Studio run smoothly versus what will make it hang. If your computer meets or exceeds the minimum hardware requirements for Studio, the program crashing would have nothing to do with the computer hardware.

Inactive

Thank you. Very reassuring.
      I installed Pinnacle on my current computer and I could not even get it up and running. Crashed right off the bat. My computer does not meet basic specs though, so that is why I am shopping around.

Inactive

Are you shopping around for a new computer? Or are you shopping around for new video editing software?

If it’s a new computer you’re shopping for, don’t buy a new one just so you can use Pinnacle Studio. If you want to keep your current computer, check the hardware requirements of other video editing software.

On the other hand, if you want a new computer anyway, then try Studio on the new machine when you get it. If you have problems at that time, then you can decide whether to try to make Studio work, or go for other software.

Inactive

I come from a music background so timelines and such didn’t scare me. I also have used Flash from its first version so editing and timing were sort of inplanted in me. Having said that, I opened up Studio 9 for the first time and jumped right in and starting editing video as though I’d had this software for years. On the flip side, after reading so many posts about how powerful Vegas 5 is, I decided I’d move up to something more “powerful”. NOT. Like I said I’ve working with timelines professionally for over 15 years and this software made no sense. I had to literally hack at this thing for a fews days just to make the simplest editing manuvers. So my conclusion is, that Studio 9 is far more time saving and intuitive for someone looking to have quick turn around time with their production without the lose of professionalism.

The other thing I noticed though, was Studio 9 does hang up and/or drop capture frames if your hard drive is not defragged. But if you defrag everyday you should be hassle free and on your way. Hey that rhymed!

Inactive

Wonderful advice. Much like Mr. Costello. I am sticking with Studio. Thanks so much.
      p.s. I also have purchased a computer with separate drives for Studio and for storage. Do you still have to defrag everyday where drives are separated?

Inactive

Probably not everyday with that setup. In fact some might disagree with me that defragging everyday is the right thing. But I use Studio 9 at my job and after capturing and editing about 4 long videos we started having major problems with the software dropping frames during capture. We went through a pretty long process of elimination to try and find out what the cause could be. We were willing to swap hardware, software or whatever we had to in order fix the problem, when someone walked by my desk and said, hey if you’re editing a lot of video you should defrag very often. Well they were right. It fixed the problem immediately. So instead of dropping a ton of money into Vegas or different hardware we spent 30 bucks on shareware degragging software. It did the trick and I haven’t had a single problem with Studio 9 since.

Again, some people will disagree and say that Vegas is superior but my opinion if based on turn around time and software learning curve. I’d love to take six months to become a pro with Vegas but, hey I’d also like to take six months off and go on vacation!

Inactive

Thanks again. In the Studio 9 manual that I received with my software, Pinnacle recommends defragging the hard drive as one thing to do in the event of a software problem. I will try and do that as often as possible on your advice. (I have never see this particular piece of advice on the Pinnacle webboards, so I may throw it around for the benefit of others there someday. Hope you will not mind.) Thanks again.

Inactive

personally i find Pinnacle Studio 9 Plus are easy to use. Very easy that even my little kids know how to master it. i recommend it for those beginners in video editing. i started video editing by using Pinnacle Studio 9 ( upgraded to Studio Plus ). My only problem is that there is not much things to add in creating a creative video presentation. I then change to Vegas 5 ( later Vegas 6 ). I am in love with this software. I can lots of things beyond imagination using this software. The big advantage is that there’s unlimited video & audio track.

Inactive

Simple answer…Final Cut Pro ; )

Alex
      http://www.whatisbroken.com
      http://www.enigmafactory.com

Alex Ferrari : Director

Participant

I’ve been happy with Pinnacle 9 except I can’t create a chapter without creating a menu. Does 10 fix this? For this reason I’ve been looking hard at Vegas 6. I just want to capture, makes menus, chapters, scrolling text, burn and control quality.
      Does anyone know what improvements they’ve made is Pinnacle 10?

Thanks,

Kevin

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video editing software — 2021

In this article, we’ll go over the criteria you’ll need to consider when choosing the best video editing software for your needs.
homicide-bootstrap