Sony Vegas 11 -> DNxHD -> Handbrake = Best for DVD?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing Sony Vegas 11 -> DNxHD -> Handbrake = Best for DVD?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey all,

Do any of you use this method of rendering your files? It’s detailed here: http://www.jazzythedog.com/testing/DNxHD/HD-Guide.aspx

They walk you through the method for best online video, but I want to render the best way possible for DVD. I know it’s MPEG-2 as the final format, but I’m wondering (since I shoot in 1080/60i), how can I get the BEST deinterlacing, and highest quality image on my final renders.

Should I use this codec and handbrake, but on different settings? I didn’t see MPEG-2 as an output option on handbrake.

Anyone?

Participant

If you shot interlaced footage and want the best quality DVD, then don’t de-interlace. I don’t understand why people think interlaced footage is so taboo.

Participant

I’m new to this (being doing audio for years, just stepped into video), trying to learn.

So what would you suggest as best render settings for DVD? Should I size it down to 720 when I render? Before I bring it to my authoring software, in my case DVD Architect.

Participant

No. You don’t need to go to 720p at all. You shot 1080i60 footage. Therefore, your project/timeline should be 1080i60. When you’re done editing, export your Master at 1080i60. Bring your Master into encoding software and convert to MPEG-2 @ 480i60 Anamorphic with Upper field dominance. Also encode a .AC3 file for the audio stream. Finally, bring the resulting MPEG-2 and .AC3 files into your DVD Authoring program.

Participant

Hi Shaun,

I just scanned through the info at the link you provided and I don’t see where it has anything to do with creating a DVD, as the workflow is aimed at H.264 web video.

Also, DVDs are typically LOWER FIELD first, not upper. When your Vegas 1080i60 project is complete, you should be able to use the Export function in Vegas and just choose MPEG-2 DVD and an appropriate preset to create the files needed for DVD Architect. Haven’t used Vegas in a while, but there should be a “NTSC Widescreen DVD” preset or similar available.

Jeff Pulera
      Safe Harbor Computers

Participant

I shoot with canon Vixias and 60i is the standard format for these cameras, Having experimented with 30p I finally came to the conclusion that 60i handled motion better and showed no loss in sharpness or saturation. I edit in Vegas pro and do not set a deinterlase program in the software. I use Sony’s own burn DVD program (in the software) to burn DVDs and they show very well in all DVD players that they have been in

Participant

@SafeHarbor DVD can be anything – upper field, lower field, or progressive. Interlaced HD footage is upper field dominance. He should maintain consistency if he wants the best quality.

Participant

Aww nuts, you’re right. NTSC HD is Lower field dominance.

Participant

Ok, so what I’m hearing is to NOT interlace the footage and just use the preset on my Vegas software to export Mpeg-2

That’s what I was doing, but I’m seeing videos online (yes rendered for web) where they show better results using handbrake and saving in an avid codec.

Why would that be different? I just want to make sure that the final DVD videos I create are the best they can be with the tools I have.

Participant

No. I’m suggesting not to deinterlace your footage. You shot your footage already. It’s interlaced. Deinterlacing will only lower the quality.

The reason you deinterlace for the web is because computer screens use progressive scanning. You are asking about DVD, though, and TVs are capable of interlace scanning. So keep your footage interlaced.

Participant

ok so for DVD don’t deinterlace.. but for web I should render to progressive scan?

Participant

You’re getting closer.

Yes, for the web you want progressive scanning. Always.

DVD doesn’t always have to be interlaced. Only in your particular instance because you shot interlaced footage. If you shot progressive footage, then you’d author a progressive scanning DVD.

Participant

when I’m renderin to mpeg2 and playing the video file in my quickvideo or VLC player, they look horrible? What am I doing wrong? Very low quality. I upped the bit rate, and tried a CBR to no avail. I assume the render should always be 720×480 right? What am I doing wrong, the files look like crap.

Participant

I’m still so stuck on this and I’m sorta screwed. This project is really late and I see no end. Even when I get my footage in various formats to the guys at Discmakers they can’t get good footage, but I KNOW I have good footage, but getting it to MPEG in good quality so far has been fruitless.

I’ve used Vdub, MeGUI, TMPGEnc… and still no luck getting a final product as a quality MPEG-2 file…

Seriously I’ll pay $100 to whomever will spend the time on the phone with me and get me the results I need. I SO need this to work and it’s crazy that this has consumed so much. There’s gotta be SOMETHING I’m missing.

Help???

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2021

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap