sony vega and sony hd hdr-sr10 questions

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

hey all, new to the hd hdd world, i have sony vega and a sony hd cam… questions

1: when i import the video to the computer through sony vega, i have
      audio… but the video is pretty much a still frame. is it a graphics card problem, or is there a way to fix that so i can edit the video and still get a good quality video?

2: peoples thoughts on the and reviews?

3: any good guides, videos, books on sony vega… or is there better software out there?

any and all help will be huge for me. thanks guys/ gals in advanced.

Participant

I am assuming you are talking about Sony Vegas when referencing your software. The link below has several tutorials on the software to help you get started.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/training

Something to look at, review the system (computer) specs for HD that is listed for your software. That is pretty much the bare minimum you would want your PC to match for ease of editing.

Looking at the cameras shown in your link, their recording format appears to be AVCHD a very processor intensive format to edit.

You might have an easier time by transcoding (changing the format of your video file) to something more processor freindly before you try editing. Be aware that this could increase your file sizes up to 10X, a 4G file could become 40G. 

Participant

I shoot witha HDR-SR11 and your problem with the “still” frame is that your computer may not be powerful enough to handle the AVCHD file natively, even though Vegas can. To get around this, I use a program from New Blue FX called UpShift which converts the highly compressed MTS (AVCHD) files to M2T (lightly compressed MPEG-2) files. I then edit in Vegas Pro 8 on a 2.6GHz Pentium IV w/3GB RAM without a problem.

As for a book – Douglas Spotted Eagle has a couple of books on editing in Vegas – VERY GOOD RESOURCES. Spot is dead on in his explanations and makes some difficult topics very understandable.

One of his books: http://www.amazon.com/Vegas-Pro-9-Editing-Workshop/dp/0240813057/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1303153833&sr=8-5

Inactive

thank you so much, would i transcode the file in the editing software, or on the camera its self?

Participant

UpShift is a separate program available from NewBlueFX ($80 – http://www.newbluefx.com/avchd-upshift.html). On your PC, you would convert the MTS files to M2T files before you edit and outside of Vegas, It can be a lengthy process, sometimes has taken me many hours to complete (but it will run unattended in batch mode).

Inactive

is there a cheaper software, is this truly the best there is? 80 bucks is a hard hit… but if its worth it, then i can spend it

Participant

If you had the time, you could do this using Vegas alone – Just load the MTS file to the timeline and (without editing) just render it out using the following settings:

Save as type: QuickTime 7 (MOV)

Template: Default Template (Uncompressed)

Video Rendering Quality: Best

<b>Video Tab</b>

Frame size:<b> </b>Custom – 1920 X 1080

Frame Rate: 29.97

Field order: None (Progressive)

Pixel Aspect Ration: 1.0

Video Format: Sorenson Video 3

Compressed depth: 24 bpp color

Quality 100%

Data rate: unconstrained

Keyframe every 15 frames

As a matter of example, I took a nine second MTS file and rendered it out to a MOV file with these settings – It took about three minutes for the render to complete.  Then I took both files and masked out part of one so you can see any differences.  The white areas labeled MOV fade to the rendered MOV file and the rest of the frame labeled MTS is the original file.  When you’re all done, just use the MOV file to edit with.  I can’t see any appreciable loss of quality.  MTS clip = 18MB, MOV clip = 69MB,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfjNVbBsyZc

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap