Sony PMWEX1R or Panasonic AG-AF100 HD Camcorder

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello.

i am confused between this two cameras :Sony PMWEX1R AND Panasonic AG-AF100 HD Camcorder

As anyone can help me witch one is the best choice?

The interchechable lenes in panasonic is the thing that is drive me crazy.

thanks

Participant

“As anyone can help me witch one is the best choice?”

As always, the answer to that question depends on what you’re shooting. These two cameras have some major differences.

The EX1 has a 1/2″ sensor, whereas the AF100 has a 4/3″ sensors (same size as Super 35 film). So the AF100 will have a shallower depth of field. If you’re not shooting a control production, it will be much harder to keep you footage in focus with the AF100.

The EX1 doesn’t offer interchangeable lenses, but the AF100 does.

The EX1 records XDCam EX to SxS cards. The AF100 records AVCHD to SDXC cards.

Both cameras implement CMOS sensors

Both cameras have HD-SDI output capability so you can bypass the in-camera compression.

Lately, I’ve noticed a lot of people seem to be confused about the capability of interchangeable lenses. There are two different kinds of lenses: zoom lenses and prime lenses. Prime lenses don’t zoom, but they have less glass in them. So they can producer a sharper, cleaner image. However, a zoom lens provides flexibility. It like having multiple prime lenses in one lens.

If you’re shooting a narrative style film, you will have time to switch lenses. So most likely you’ll be working with primes since they produce better results. If you’re in a run-n-gun situation, you’ll want a zoom lens since you won’t have time to change lenses.

In a nutshell, if you’re shooting a controlled narrative film, the AF100 is the way to go. If you’re shooting documentaries or events, you’ll want the EX1

Participant

The EX1, NX5, XF305, HMC150 and others- all have one fixed lens that “does it all”. These are all great cameras. Is there ONE zoom lens out there that would fit the AF100 that “does it all” ?

Participant

A lens made for Micro 4/3″ sensors will work. Take your pick:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7C1&ci=274&N=4293344976+4292347245+4292347244+4292347248

If you want a specific zoom lens pointed out, this one covers 14mm to 140mm.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/630572-REG/Panasonic_H_VS014140_Lumix_G_Vario_HD.html

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Sony lenses — 2021

Sony has made a name for itself in the camera market lately. From its popular mirrorless line to its cinema cameras, Sony seems to be everywhere. The Sony E Mount has been around for about a decade. Since then, it's...
homicide-bootstrap