Sony NEX-VG10 or Canon XA10?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

which one?

Participant

or what is the best camera for 2000 dollars?

Participant

sony nex-vg10

Advantage with 14.2 million pixel of the APS-C size CMOS sensor
      1920×1080 60i 24Mbps AVCHD video shooting

Hi endoftheroad — a few pros and cons that you may find useful:

Canon XA10

Pros: professional XLR input, full manual control of audio, power zoom, native 24p

Cons: no shallow depth of field

Sony VG10

Pros: Interchangeable lenses, shallow DoF

Cons: consumer 3.5mm audio input jack, no manual audio controls, high pixel count (14.2MP) — good for a still camera, bad for a video camera

The high pixel count and 60i frame rate are reasons not to get the VG10. The VG10’s 14.2 MP sensor and poor compression cause its well-known moire and aliasing problems (see this review). And, if you need the standard 24p frame rate, you’re out of luck.

I recommend the XA10 unless you absolutely need shallow DoF. The Sony can produce great images — it’s just a lot more work.

Good luck with your decision,

Bill

http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com

Participant

I’ve been shooting with a VG-10 since last Nov. I don’t run into all the negatives you find in DSLR Blog’s. I think the DSLR guys expect everything to function like a DSLR even when they are not.

The VG-10 actually shoots in 30p, its just in a 60i wrapper. I pull it in 30p. The only difference I can tell between 30p and 24p is 24p will have more motion blur, if I want that I’ll just drop my shutter to 1/50 or more.

I was a little concerned with audio when I first got the camera but I’m not now. I fully expected to order a beachtech unit to mount under it but I have had no issues with it. The on board mic is shockingly great and the sony shot gun for the camera is suprising as well when I need to isolate sound. I’ve even used it in lue of a wireless a few times and came out with great results.

I can’t tell you about the XA-10 but the VG-10 has been a great camera for me. With all that said, I wouldn’t really consider it a 2,000 camera as you will get other lenses for it. Thats where its strengths really are in the ability to adapt to environments and to styles with changing lenses. I got the VG-10 as a “B” camera because of its size and capability but I’ve used it for a lot more “A” roll than I thought I would.

I would recommend going to a shop and handling them as much as you can and you’ll get a feel for which suits your needs better.

Participant

Ehhh? I think you can do better. Try this.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/625605-REG/Panasonic_AG_HMC40PJU_AG_HMC40_AVCCAM_HD_Camcorder.html

Inactive

I will personally go with the canon as it has features tha can make video making better. Sony VG-10 is good but some features are really required to be worked on.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap