Sony HXR-NX5U & No Sound on Import

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello, I am basically clueless. I have aSony HXR-NX5U which I bought so I could have a tapeless workflow. However, when I import my files into Pinnacle 14, there is no sounds. I was under the impression that Pinnacle could play AVCHD files natively.

If anyone knows what I am missing, or could help me troubleshoot this I would greatly appreciate it.

Participant

I’m not familiar with Pinnacle, but have you checked the manual to at least see if AVCHD is supported? If it is, it will certainly come up in the electronic and/or printed manual.

I have Pinnacle 12 Ultimate and it works fine with AVCHD. Perhaps you have to have the “Ultimate” version (or whatever they call it in 14) to do it, though. I suspect that if your version doesn’t support it, though, it wouldn’t even play the video. Check and make sure your version supports it, though?

Inactive

I have Pinnacle 14 HD and AVCHD is supported. Really frustrated, I can hear sound when played directly from camcorder and can hear sound when I use import using Sony’s Content Management Utility AND play the video in the Utility. But no sound when I import using Pinnacle 14.

Participant

are there audio meter you can look at to see if sound is actually present in the video file in Pinnacle?

How are you getting them from your camera to your hard drive?

Inactive

I think I figured out the problem and a work around.

The camcorder has two audio options LPCM (NXCAM Linear PCM) and Dolby Digital. Apparently Pinnacle and Adobe Premier don’t support Sony’s interpretation of them correctly yet.

So the workaround for now is to switch to Dolby on the camcorder and the audio will come through fine on import.

Participant

That’s a shame. I’m pretty sure Dolby Digital will be compressed.

I’d consider a new NLE for that reason, but that’s just me

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best After Effects and motion graphics template sites – 2020

You have the tools needed to create stunning motion graphics, but do you have the time? If not, using motion graphics templates can be a great way to add polish to a production without blowing your deadline.
homicide-bootstrap