Sony HDR FX7

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am looking to purchase this camera and thought I would get opinions by people who currently own it or had experiences with it. Having to use the tape is a draw back (vs.Panasonic HMC40, running in secondin my decision making,which is tapeless) but from what I read, the internal mic is much better with FX7. Also, this camera was introduced in 2006 and was wondering if a next version is due for release near future. Positives AND negatives of the camera would be much appreciated!

Participant

There are much better cameras out there. The FX1000 is the closest upgrade version, with the Z5U being a bigger brother. Both cameras are much better in lower light than the FX7. Both cameras are compatible with the MRC1 recording unit that records to compact flash cards, and the Z5U actually has a built in mount for the unit virtually making it seamless with the rest of the body

I use 2 Z5Us for wedding videography, andrecord ONLY to CF cards. The main differences between the Z5U and FX1000 is XLR inputs, and the MRC1 mount.

Another camera to look at is the NX5U – it is just as great in low light as the Z5U or FX1000, but it has no tape deck, and records entirely to memory cards, or optional attachable solid state drive. I believe the AX2000 is the little brother to the NX5U – with a few less pro options (much like the differences between the Z5U and FX1000) but still gives the same great looking video!

Participant

Once again, I still say go tapeless. If I was a pro and there was anything on my rig I’d think to be a strong proponent of failure, it would be the tape cam. The NX5, FX7, and FX1000 are good camcorders, but still if I had a choice, I would purcahse the Z5U unless one of the others simply proved themselves more useful as far as reliability, manual controls, or low light performance – I would really have to be thrilled about something on one of them before I purchased the HVR-Z5U.

Participant

XTR- you say tapeless is the way to go, which I agree, but then why would you purchase the Z5U when without an add on unit (sony or otherwise) it will only record to tape?

The NX5 (and AX2000)are the only completely tapeless camera discussed above.

Participant

Did I say the Z5U? Sorry, I probably meant to say the NX5. It only looks like the HXR-NX5 has a 720p60 option, flash memory unit, and GPS, while the HDR-AX2000 does not. The NX5 also has more accessories, such as a shotgun mic, and more ports, such as BNC output and a seperate L/R (RCA) output for audio.

That’s all that looks different to me, adding 0.1 kg of weight to the HXR-NX5.

Participant

Well, I was looking at those two cameras due to my budget of $2,000. And within my budget, these are the cameras that I found. Any other cameras that I should be looking at?

Participant

I have the Z7U and it is a great cam. It has an add on unit for tapeless but it comes with the unit so I don’t consider it an add on. I have never had a tape in mine the nearly 2 years I have had it. I have two 32GB CF cards and that has been all I have ever needed. But it was more thsn $2,000….

Participant

I have the FX7 and find it to perform well for what I am using it for. Mostly interview type stuff with controlled lighting. The on board mic is not something that I use much. I usually use 2 external shotgun mics when doing the interview work.

I did use it in a wedding shoot 2 weeks ago and I was pleased with the low light performance.

The FX7 is HDV if you are looking for full HD you will need to consider something else.

If I was starting from scratch I would look at the new Sony NEX-VG10. It is in the same price range and uses interchangeable lenses, is tapeless,and shoots in full 1920 x 1080. The camera has a write up in the november issue of Videomaker Magazine.

Participant

but it ewasnt available yet.

If we all waited for the next greatest thing, we’d all be waiting instead of working.

The FX7 is a fine camera, offering mucho bang for the buck if purchased used. You can literally grab em for less than a grand now.

TrackerTracker
      Participant

grinner may have said it all, (why wait?)but I decided to refuel the question jeffjkim originally asked (rather than start another thread on the same subject). I am considering purchasing the HDR-FX7 for my next camcorder. It seems it is loved or hated? Onboard audio “sucks”, and low lighting is “near worthless” seem to be the consof the camera. Other than those two issues, people seem to think it is “all stars”!

Audio is my main concern, I rely 99% on my camcorder for audio in the field, (which is pretty accurate) because if not in the field I often use a remote mike for audio on the subject. Then again it’s pretty accurateto sayI am in the field99% of the time I amrecording! If there is any human audio I am trying to capture,it is important.If I can’t use it; I can’t use this camera.

I could stretch my budget and go for the HDR-AX2000, but from what I have read, this camera is beyond my needs and understanding. I currently use a GL2 (yes, my main demand is the 20x or better lens) and the GL2 is a great camcorder, but not HD.

This may be cheating, (introducing a second concern)but one thing I wantfrommy next camcorder is the 24 fps, so I can copy mySuper 8 movies with out a special projector. Guess that dates this o’l Grey Beard for ya, but I understand if the super 8 was taken at 24fps it is a flawless transfer. I have yet to document that the HDR-FX7 has the 24fps speed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tracker

Participant

The FX7 does NOT do 24fps

Participant

It has cineframe though.

Inactive

Grinner… where can i get FX-7 for under a grand?

drop me a note… Ed!

I’m seeing $1,698 at http://www.ibcart.com to $1,998 at Amazon, but not finding anything under a grand anywhere I’ve looked. Even on ebay it’s listing at $1,999. PricegGrabber shows it as low as $1,659 from FumFie.com (whatever THAT is) but by and large the range is $1,900 and up from B&H Photo Video, Beach Camera, Abe’s of Maine, PC Connection Express, J&R (JR.com) … probably a slip of the keyboard keys for Mr. G.

Participant

Hi,

In all this discussion about the various cameras and tape versus tapless, one thing is missed. That is that tape provides an easy way to have a backup and archive copy. I use the Z5u and Z7u cameras and record both to chips (with the MRC unit) and tape at the same time. That way I get the convenience of CF cards and the security of tape. I did have a CF card fail and become unrecoverable which made me glad I had the tape. I know some people complain that tape is expensive, but high quality Sony HDV tapes are less than $6 apiece. Seems like cheap insurance if you are shooting a one-time event like a wedding.

Participant

If you can find one on ebay I have seen them there for a grand, but i think you can get them new for close to 2 grand

Participant

Yep just looked it up the FX-7 is 1999.99 at the Sony store

Inactive

If it’s any help at all – I have used a Sony FX-7 -mainly as a general use camera for around 3 years now and found it to be rugged, not too many frills, but enough. It’s a good solid workhorse that might not win any awards but consistently produces good quality HDV that all my clients have been more than happy with. Maybe this is because, as I am a documentary and more ‘roving’ than static type film-maker, quality isn’t as important as content. However, as I say, I think the quality is good and in my opinion, if you want a solid camera that’ll well oulast its spec. – then the FX-7 is a good buy. As for low-light – I agree – it could be better. However, in my work, a bit (or a lot) of gain-grain often adds to the atmosphere. But if that’s going to be a problem, I always carry at least one good LCD light – which (together with a shotgun mount mic) I have mounted on a home-made hand rig – adequately takes care of the light problem for short-range shooting. I hope this helps a bit.

Inactive

Hi people, I'm lowering the package cost for the Sony FX-7 w/accessories as pictured on the top of this thread (not in the pic but included: cables, remote, power supply/batt charger, manual).

New lower price: P85,000.00 Package Sale only

http://shoprex.com/brands/sony

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap