Sony FX1 video cameras with a wireless Lavalier mic, HELP

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Sound Sony FX1 video cameras with a wireless Lavalier mic, HELP

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I own and have been using 2 Sony VX2000 cameras for 7 years with boom and wireless microphones with no problems.

I just starting using my 2 new Sony FX1 HD cameras as a test run and discovered that the WCS-999 Sony wireless microphone only works on the left side due to the 16-bit audio.

Can anyone suggest a good wireless Lavalier microphone system that uses batteries and will be in stereo? I cant find anything and I would rather not have to use 1 of my VX2000 Sonys as a slave just for audio and cut and edit more time just because I dont have a better audio microphone?

Thanks everyone.

Participant

Is that a stereo microphone? If it’s not, then it will only record on the left channel unless you set the camera/audio device to record mono.

If it’s not a stereo mic, and you don’t care about ‘true’ stereo, you could easily fix it in post. Just record into your FX1, then in your favorite NLE, set it to duplicate the left audio to the right audio.

Participant

Is that a stereo microphone? If it’s not, then it will only record on the left channel unless you set the camera/audio device to record mono.

If it’s not a stereo mic, and you don’t care about ‘true’ stereo, you could easily fix it in post. Just record into your FX1, then in your favorite NLE, set it to duplicate the left audio to the right audio.
      _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Of course it is a stereo mirophone, that is why I listed the model type.

It can not be fixed in post unless using FCP. What is NLE? It can be done by duplicating in FCP but why can’t I just BUY a real stereo mic and not have to deal with that?

Inactive

The WCS-999 is monoaural. http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=WCS999&Dept=cameras
      Microphones have one element and thus are monoaural. You can get a microphone package with two elements for stereo audio, but why would you do this?

Participant

>Microphones have one element and thus are monoaural. You can get a microphone package with two elements for stereo >audio, but why would you do this?

I know that all microphones are all MONO, but it would of been nice to get REAL stereo with out having to use a mixer. I have never heard of getting two elements for a stereo audio? Everyone at BH Photo in NY told me no way.

Participant

VV, I don’t think you mean REAL stereo, as REAL stereo would involve using a stereo recording setup (different elements going to each track). I’m guessing you want the audio from the wireless mixed to both tracks on the tape, correct?

I’m assuming you’re using the Mini-jack to Mini-jack cable to plug the wireless receiver into the camera, and not via xlr w/ a BeachTek. If that’s the case, then you should be able to use either a mono-mini to mono-mini cable Hereor a stereo-mini to stereo-mini cable Here Basically whichever is not the one that you’re using now.

Inactive

aaronvogel Wrote:

I’m assuming you’re using the Mini-jack to Mini-jack cable to plug the wireless receiver into the camera, and not via xlr w/ a BeachTek. If that’s the case, then you should be able to use either a mono-mini to mono-mini cable Hereor a stereo-mini to stereo-mini cable Here Basically whichever is not the one that you’re using now.

I’m guessing that won’t do it and that he needs a mono to stereo adapter. Basically, the stereo’s left and right pins are shorted together and both connect to the mono side’s signal pin. The grounds are also connected to each other.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Video Reference Monitor Buyer’s Guide

The best video monitors — 2020

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap