Sony DCRVX2000

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m looking at getting a Sony DCRVX2000 because I can get it cheap ($800) which agrees more with my budget then $2000 (I don’t have a job yet…). It looks like a great camera, great features, view finder (ftw!) but it is old. Should I get it? I prob will unless there’s a valid reason for not getting it which I don’t know about πŸ™‚

If it works, and you can produce money-making video with it, or even good personal productions, do it. He who hesitates…

…isn’t LOST, he’s just NOT making video πŸ˜‰

Inactive

Well said eric..! Those words were stiff and straight .. !! Craig its all about the kinda love you have towards the cam that matters much than the M factor(money)!.. As Eric told decide it with the usage in mind..! If it can giv you pleasure in some means go for it..!!

Lara..!!

site lighting

Inactive

Lol Eric πŸ™‚ I’m not looking at making money now, just a step up πŸ™‚

So thanks guys (and girls? lol)

Participant

I had as VX2000 as my first cam and sold it on Craigslist last year for $400. It is very good in low light and is rock solid. I don’t think you will be disappointed. I liked it so much I stayed with Sony and have a Z7U now.

Inactive

Ok cool πŸ˜€ I’m def gonna get it once I save up the money. Gotta design more sites, and fast, lol

Participant

I have had a VX2000 for years and have made money with it. I bought it when it first hit the streets. I was going to buy a Canon GL-1, but in a side by side comparison, the Sony came out on top.

There are a couple of things to be aware of. First, the wide screen really just puts in top and bottom bars, so you get more pixels if you stick with 4:3 aspect ratio. Second, the external mic is connection is funky. It is an unbalanced mini jack and apparently has some sort of non-standard phantom power. It also is a higher impedance than the standard 600 ohms. It works great with Sony mics designed for that camera, but I had odd problems with a different mic (I don’t remember the brand). Anyway, the problem was fixed by using a short “adapter cord” with a 0.1 Mfd capacitor to block the DC voltage. A MUCH better solution is to get a balun transformer to block the DC, step up the impedance and provide a female XLR connector that accepts all higher quality mics. Of course, you don’t get stereo with either of these solutions. For stereo, I used a small Sony stereo mic designed for the camera. I made my own adapter cords to connect other mics to the mini-jack stereo input so I don’t know what commercial product would do the same.

Back when the camera first came out, there were complaints of annoying audible hiss in the sound channels. I did not experience that, but you might listen before you buy to see if that particular camera has the problem.

The final experience I had with it was it works best (i.e. almost no drop outs) with Sony tapes and don’t mix brands. Other brands seemed to cause drop outs, apparently due to dirtying up the head.

This is a great camera and I still have it although I mostly use Z1U, Z5U, Z7U for HDV.

Inactive

Good to know, especially about the tapes πŸ˜‰

Inactive

Anyone know if you can get lenses for this? I’ve searched around and can only find fish eye ones, I’ll be needing a wide angle lenses.

Participant

When the VX2000 was new, there were several after market add-on lenses available for it so I imagine they can still be found as used equipment. I bought a Sony tele multiplier and it worked great. It is a large chunk of glass that screws onto the existing lens. This camera does not have a removable lens so add-ons are the only way to go. I think there were also some wide angle add-ons. You can tell if an add-on is telephoto or wide angle by it’s multiplier. If the multiplier is greater than 1, such as 1.5, it is a telephoto lens that multiplies whatever focal length the camera’s lens is zoomed to by, say, 1.5.

If the multiplier is less than 1, such as .8, the add-on is more wide angle.

Note that these add-ons don’t increase the zoom range, they shift it. With the tele multiplier mentioned above, I got a larger image of distant objects (soccer players), but I could not pull back as far when they were close to the camera.

There are three (at least) things to be aware of with add-on lenses:

1 – You probably will get some vignetting at one extreme or the other of the camera’s zoom range.

2 – Some lenses introduce serious image distortion. I have found that the more expensive the lens, the better it is(duh!). My Sony tele add-on cost several hundred dollars and introduces little distortion. I have tried off brand under $100 lenses with poor results.

3 – One good thing is these lenses do not reduce the f stop of the original lens. So, in that sense, you are getting “free” image enhancement.

To save money, I would look for good used add-ons. Since they have no moving parts they never wear out. Just be sure the glass has no chips, scratches, discolorations, mold etc. Also, be sure the mounting threads are perfect or it won’t screw onto the camera.

Good Luck,

Jaimie

Participant

Did you ever save up enough for it? you may want to consider looking at a garage sale or consignment shops/pawn shop as a means to finding a good deal on a camera if you cant afford the 800.00 price tag you mentioned earlier.

I have threeDCRVX2100 cameras. I have used them in various productions; wedding videos, music videos, and now in a movie that should be ready for the spring 2011. To see what these cameras can do, check out a few clips at http://www.GONEthemovie.com and just realize that the video quality has been reduced for the web. You will have fun with your new Sony camera.

Participant

My first good camera is a vx2100…one of the best for low light. I believe it has 1 lux. I still have one as a backup. These cameras still demands a price tag above your budget of $800. You may have to increase that a little to above a $1000 if you are lucky. I bought one about a month ago on eBay for about $1200…well I sold mine on amazon to get the Sony FX7 HD camera but later missed the camera’s low light capability and went back for it.

You will also want to consider the Panasonic DVX100B…it has lot more features and sells around the same price though bit higher.

Inactive

I got one but am not happy with quality πŸ˜› I love it though

Participant

I have to second waiting to get the VX2100. This is my workhorse camera. I think the main difference between the 2000 and the 2100 is the low-light capability of the 2100. It has these Super HAD CCD’s that have much better light sensitivity and smear rejection than CCD’s in other cameras in the same price range. I’ve shot B-roll for a Fox station in Tampa with the 2100. I was told that they didn’t have to do any post work on the footage to cut it into their BetaSP footage for the same segment. I’ve also had times where I’ve hooked the camera with the crappy video cables that come with it to an HD monitor to review clients’ footage and they always ask me if the camera is HD, because when properly set up, it really does look that good. Worth the wait, IMO.

Inactive

Wow that’s cool! πŸ™‚ (broll for fox) I just think my Canon FS100 got better quality then the VX2000

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Mobile Workstation Buyer's Guide

The best laptops for video editing β€” 2020

For video editors, finding the perfect portable workstation is like catching a unicorn. It is no easy task to find the perfect balance of performance vs price point.
homicide-bootstrap