Sony DCR-VX2100 vs. Canon GL-2. In desperate need of help.

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Cameras and Camcorders Other Camcorders Sony DCR-VX2100 vs. Canon GL-2. In desperate need of help.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi everyone, I’m a short filmmaker looking to branch out into the world of event/wedding/training videography. I’ve been researching cameras for a while now, and I really don’t have any need for HD or 24p. I want a solid camera that will shoot great video and will allow for the ability to use wireless mic and shotgun mic setups.

Canon GL-2: I know it’s an old camera, and it may not be "in style" anymore, but I have spent some time with it in a video production class and I liked it a lot.

Sony VX2100: I just heard about this camera today, someone was recommending this over the GL-2 because it shoots better in low light situations. The question is, just how "low light" are we talking about? I will be primarily filming weddings with this camera, so would this be the better choice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would love to get away with spending $400 less on the GL-2, but if you can give me a good reason to throw the extra cash down on the Sony, please do.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Sony VX2100 all the way. I shoot weddings and use the Sony PD170 as my primary cam and it is AMAZING. I’ve never needed an extra light, even for the dimmest receptions. If you do weddings or are thinking about it, go with Sony

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for the feeback. I’m going to a camera dealer in town tomorrow, hopefully I’ll be able to get some hands on time with both of them.

tpainter
      Participant

If it is not too late to throw another option in there — the Panasonic ag-dvc30 is another good choice – it is going for around 1800 and there is a 200 rebate available. Compared to the GL2, I think it is a better choice.

tpainter
      Participant

[quote="compusolver"]

Try that with the Panny ag-dvc30 or Canon GL-2!

[/quote]

I was just offering an alternative to the GL-2 – The vx2100 is a better camera expectedly so. As for durability, the GL2 feels cheap and I can see that breaking easily — A friend of mine at church asked me to tape a baby dedication using his vx2100 – I hated how it felt in my hand – it was weighted so unevenly and I felt like it was going to drop out of my hand at any minute. Granted, I only had about 15 minutes to play with the camera before I had to tape it – its a good camera as long as you never have to use it when it is not on a tripod. But I think the body of the panasonic dvc30 is much more durable.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Other Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best tripods for video — 2021

Carefully comparing and reviewing system specs will ultimately help you find the best tripod to fit your needs and your budget.
homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.