Sony DCR-SX63 files

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am new to flash camcorder storage. I have used my Sony DCR-SX63 on a recent vacation. I used the highest quality setting for recording [HQ] and I thought that I would be able to transfer/copy the files, to my PC, as AVI files. The only files that I can copy to my computer, from the camera’s flash drive are MPEG-2. Is there a way that I can export AVI files from this camera’s flash drive into Sony Vegas? Or do I have to edit MPEG-2 and burn to a DVD?

Is there an HD flash camcorder that can export SD files as AVI into Vegas? Or are the files always MPEG-2 [SD] or MPEG-4 [HD]?

I was unprepared for this surprise/inconvenience.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

RockyRocky
      Participant

Hi Paul possible means to solve yourproblem

Copy your MPEG file to another folder to allow you to retain original in the eventanything with the following goes wrong. Then rename your newly created file by changing the file prefix from MPEG to avi. Import your new renamedavi file into Vagas.

A friend had the same problem with a Sony DCR-SR68E and the above fix works for her. Trust that helps, best regards.

Participant

Thanks Rocky. That seems simple enough and I will give it a try and post what the results are.

Participant

I tried the above method with no success. I was looking to be able to import as an AVI file, then edit, and finally burn to a DVD. The MPEG-2 files are not as sharp [because of compression] as the native AVI files, when burned to a DVD.

Is there a camcorder that records to its flash drive as an AVI file?

Participant

http://download.cnet.com/WinFX-Free-Video-Converter/3000-2194_4-75211419.html

WinFX Free Converter

Participant

Thanks for the converter, XTR-91. I tried a variety of conversion settings, but still have not been able to get an AVI with great quality. I guess with this camera and MPEG-2 compression, it’s the best that I will get.

Participant

You could probably jack up the bitrate for AVI. Put in at least 25000 (kb), that’s 25 MB/s, which is the default for AVI. I would try 35000 (35MB/s). Audio 124k sample rate 48000. Make sure you get everything else right.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Camera Support Buyer's Guide

The best advanced camera support for video — 2021

While the camera will always be at the core of your production setup, using the best camera support is vital in getting smooth cinematic shots.
homicide-bootstrap