Sometimes You Just Want to Shoot the Band!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      EarlC

Then again, maybe literally, but not with a projectile-firing appliance, instead using a camera to do the dirty work. See why at E.C. Come, E.C. Go

composite1

Earl,

Read your article, right on. Spoken like a man who’s been there. Occasionally I like to line up the crosshairs of my camera on the more annoying members of the band and when they ask what I’m doing my response is, ‘just focusing’. Much cheaper than trying to explain ‘how that dead guy got there.’

EarlC

Heh, heh…

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve given up on bands. They’re a lot of headache, and usually too broke to pay you. Or, the alternative is that they tryto get out of paying you by nitpickin you to death.

This one band insisted that I shoot a video for them at their next event, which happened to be at a bar. I explained to him that bars are designed for drinking, not for acoustics, and that the audio from the video will be absolutely useless unless I bring in my own mixer and a sound tech to master it. They didn’t want to pay the extra grand, and they insisted that whatever I could pick up with my camera sound would be just fine. I made them sign an agreement to those terms. Sadly, I didn’t ask for all the cash up front.

Long story short, after the fact, I sent them a demo of the video. The band leader said he liked the video, but (of course) complained that the audio was terrible. Of course, he offered me the chance to “make it up to him” by shooting their next event (which was a two hour drive away) for free. I told him that I provided a service, and he agreed in advance that he would be alright with inferior audio. He complained that he didn’t know it would sound that bad, and said he wouldn’t pay for the terrible work. I offered as a compromise to re-edit the video and sync it if they sent me a studio recording of the song. Since they had agreed to inferior audio, I told them I wanted another $150 for re-editing. They never agreed, and of course never sent me the rest of their payment. That’s my worst band story, but I have a few other less awful ones. The bottom line is that for the same price (or better) I could be doing work that I enjoyed much more, and I would’t have to deal with the big-shot attitudes that most local bands come along with.

EarlC

They (well, some) ARE a rough and tough lot to deal with on the whole. And you do have to enjoy it in the first place – like marriage, ya gotta love it! I have had bad experiences, but learned over time when and where (most of the time) to hold and fold. My good experiences, thankfully, have enjoy higher numbers.

Also, failed to say this, and it often usually goes without saying, but should be brought up from time-to-time: Never, EVER deliver the final production without receiving payment in full. AND, if you do accept a check or credit card, make sure the check and/or charge clears before handing over the production. Although they can, of course, and some unscrupulous people will, call their card company and contest the charges on you. BUT once you deliver a video product your powers for negotiating payment are zip. Good luck in court – blood out of a turnip and all that.

And that goes for pretty much ANY product from any client: commercial, band, beauty queen, babe or bride…

composite1

Earl,

As always, “Thus endeth the lesson.” I’d also like to add to the ANY List: Reality TV Producer wannabes.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN