Something similar to the Canon XH-A1?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m a new member to the forum!

I am currently looking for something like a Canon XH-A1, however it’s out of my budget range which is $1500-$2000.

Any other recommendations or sites that offer good deals?

Other cameras with the specs I’m looking for are:

Canon XA-10

Canon XH-G1

Panasonic AG-HPX170
      Thank you so much!!

Participant

If you use the search function on these forums, I think that you will find lots of discussions about some or all of these models and I am sure that others who have experience with them will chime in. BHphoto is a good starting point for a good selection of equipment and reasonable prices. I’ve ordered and received many things from them and was very satisfied. Also consider used from ebay bhphotoetc. to get a start for a little less out of your pocket.

Digital – it’s going to be hard to find the XH-G1 or the AG-HPX170 for less than $2000. And I know that a lot of experienced pro shooters swear by HDV or P2 work flows, but I’m not a big fan of either bulky tape or $360 P2 cards.

The only camera on your list in the <$2000 price range is the XA10, which has the additional benefit of inexpensive SDHC/SDXC card workflow, light weight and compact size. The nearest competition to the XA10 is the $1795 Panasonic AG-HMC40 — but it doesn’t have the XA-10’s built-in XLR mic inputs.

If you don’t absolutely need 1080p, and 1080i is good enough, you can save a little money and get the shoulder mount form-factor with the $1750 Sony HXR-MC2000U.

A great XA10 review from B&H here.

A great field test of the camera from The Camera Store in Calgary here.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

• Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
    homicide-bootstrap