Some stop-motion questions

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Idid aquick skim-through anddidn’tseemanythingsimilar,soIthought I’d ask…

So without gettinginto details, I’mgoingtohaveto be immobile forthe nextfewdays atleast… depending if mytoe is broken or not…

Well, I’vehad afewideas about trying myhand at clamation and other forms of stop-motion.My questionis…touse a systemof 3-point lightingin asmall scale like that, what kind of lightsshouldIuse?Should Iuse lightsIwould normallyuse on a live-actionshootand justuse stufftodiffuse themandcut downthe lightas muchaspossible?ShouldI justuse those lightsas-is?ShouldI get some sort of smaller lights… even using householdlamps andwhite-balancein mycamera?

I wantto lightlike film…I just don’t know what kindof lightswill work best for a small scale.And justtogive you anidea, I’mthinking the clay puppets will probably be between 1-2 feettall.

Also… I wasthinkingof going down tothe local craft storeand getting some modeling clay.Will that be rigidenoughto stay whereI wantit and still flexibleenoughto move?

Participant

I can offer you two peices of advice….

one: the “Hardness” or “Softness” of light quality is dependant on one thing… The size of the lightsource, relative to the size of the subject.

therefore a large lightsource (ie: the Sun) will give harder light on a distant subject (ie: a person on earth) than a smaller light closer to the subject (ie a softbox two feet from the subject).

so test out what you got to get the look you want. at the size you’re looking at, halogen worklamps should be great!

next item:

your models.

Clay works great as a skin, over a structure, but sucks structually speaking.

at the size you’re talking about, I’d go this way:

Bionicles, or toy action figures (Barbie, GI Blow, etc), use heavy copper wire and zip ties to reinforce the joints, then lay on layers of clay over top…..

Participant

you’ll find some sweet armature how-tos online with a quick search.

If you build one right, man, your life will be easier and the end result will run circles around trying to make something work and not quiiiite gettin it to.

Participant

Thanksforthetipsguys!

I’llhavetodosomediggingaroundandlookatsometutorialstofigureoutwhatIwanttouseforskeletons.

Participant

bailing wire spun together works perfectly. yu can make the bones from wood. Where you leave gaps… those are joints.

It’ll be good for you to play without armatures at all first. You’ll get a feel for plasticina this way.

here are some ideas you can try with logos and such:

http://grinnerhester.com/demoreel07.wmv

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Hand-held Stabilizers Buyer's Guide

Best camera stabilizers for video — 2020

A camera stabilizer lets you capture smooth shots without sacrificing freedom of movement. Here’s a look at the best handheld stabilizers available today.
homicide-bootstrap