Some many to choose from – Help with formats

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Admittedly, I’m a total Noob. I’ve composed a documentary and would like to offer it as a download. My question is what format(s) should I be considered for rendering? AVI seems large (and more targeted toward DVD applications). MPEG2 seems to be a good fit. What about WMV? Any guidance or the pointing to an article or resource would be greatly appreciated.

Participant

“AVI seems large (and more targeted toward DVD applications).”

No. MPEG2 is for DVD

H.264 might not be a bad codec. You maintain good quality and compress to a small file size as well. Here’s a tutorial I made on compressing for the web:

Participant

I personally like MP4 wrapper with H.264 compression or FLV with one of the VP6 variants.

If I’m posting to YouTube, I go with MP4. I recently did about a 3:30 piece in MP4 at 960 X 540 (I forget the bit rate but it was I think 2mbps or 4mbps) which came out to about 55mb.

If I’m hosting on a web page, I often go with FLV (or SWF if it’s short).

Inactive

IN theory, people will download the video and watch on their machine. This will not be streamed or hosted at any site. Does that change things?

robgrauert’s video is worth a look (above) then, if it’s downloaded and watched from machines. He makes a good point about “what software will your viewers use to view the video on their machines?” (Not everyone has Quicktime, for example.) Almost everyone with a PC can run WMV, I’d bet, but can Mac folks? I don’t know. Seems like that’s a big concern when deciding which format.

Any idea what software they’d be using?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap