Some Canon EOS Rebel T3i / T2i help!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

hello everyone, i am new to videomaker so give me a break before i figure this out.

the reason i am here is because i am looking at new Digital SLR camera spacifically for videoing, but also for taking pictures and I am not sure where to go and i can not find what i am looking for online.

i am looking at the Canon EOS Rebel T3i or T2i

i would like to know

– how these will work for my type of filming ( http://www.youtube.com/jessebackman99 )

– what are the issues that these have as far as uploading, deleting, ect. any issues that you experience i would like to know.

I have a new imac. and i edit on Final cut pro X and all Adobe software products.

thank you

Jesse

Inactive

Hi Jesse,

I am a stills photographer but recently became interested in creating videos with my Canon DSLRs. The camera you are looking at is, (from what I have heard, I don’t own that model myself) fine for shooting video. However, if your budget allows, I would highly recommend going for a 5D mkii or mkiii. The reason is that these models handle low light situations much better than any other Canon model. With an ISO range from 100 to 6400 they can handle just about any light condition without too much image noise.Looking at you youtube page you shoot a lot in low light conditions.

I really like the versatility that DSLRs offer in the way of lens options, you can change from a super close macro shot to a wide angle or telephoto in a few seconds. Not too many handycams can make the same claim. Of course there is a price to be paid for quality lenses, it isn’t a cheap venture by any means.

One disadvantage to DSLRs is the limited choice of frame-rates available to shoot with but this can be overcome, if you set the camera up correctly, in post production.

I hope this helps.

Inactive

thank you. that does help, but i still want to get other point of view.

Participant

I own a T3i and absolutely love it. Swivel screen is a must have. Adjustable audio levels (albeit burried in a menu.)

It’s true, a 5D mkIII is a better camera and if money was no object, go for it. But seriously, if you want to get into an HDSLR and stills are secondary, get the T3i. You won’t regret it.

Check out the options on B&H for kits. Standard kit lens is an EF-S 18-55 IS II. This is a good lens for the price. It DOESN’T zoom in very far. Especially compared to a video camera. But it will get you going. There is a lot of good stuff on youtube and vimeo shot with this lens.

I added a 55-250 as a second lens to get me through the full range from 18-250. BUT… consider skipping the constant lens changes and get yourself an 18-135 or 18-200 instead of the 18-55 kit lens plus the 55-250. There isn’t a lot of zoom difference between the 135 and 200 ranges when all is said and done. It’s less than 2x.

Then, and this is a MUST – get a 50mm f/1.8. The short depth of field and low light ability is amazing. Sure, people with money will gripe it’s cheap and plasticy feeling, but it’s the BEST $115 lens you’ll ever buy. And if you drop it, you’re only out $115.

But how does it compare to the 60D and 7D you ask? Well, same 18 megapixel chip. Talking purely video – it’s the same. Sure, the 7D is weather sealed but it doesn’t have the flip out screen. And the 60D has an LCD screen on top – meh… so what? The 60D is a better stills camera thanks to some features, but it’s pretty much the same video camera as the T3i.

These cameras are all APS-C which has a crop factor of 1.6. So yes, it’s a smaller chip than the 5D, and doesn’t perform quite as well in low light or have quite the paper thin depth of field possible with the 5D. But compared to most video cameras, the chip is huge!

Remember, most consumer camcorders have 1/4″ chips which is 1/4 the area of the 1/2″ chip.

If your primary goal is to shoot HDSLR video in this price range – I highly recommend the T3i.

Participant

Oh, I should probably add it’s also a really nice stills camera. πŸ™‚

Inactive

thank you!

Thank you as well, getting my Father's Day/Bday present shortly and your concise comments helped point me in the right direction for a much needed upgrade (Fuji Finepix)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap