You're using a beta version of our new web site.

Some basic post-production help needed ;)

Home Forums Technique Miscellaneous Techniques Some basic post-production help needed ;)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hey guys! I’m a total amateur so here goes:

I have available: Final Cut Pro and Adobe After Effects.

What I’m looking for is adding some really neat or cool “butterfly” effects into my video. It’s all shot outside – not in front of a green screen or anything.

What I was thinking was to find some kind of animated, cool 3D butterflies with a green background, set the background as my video and do that…however I can’t find anything like that.

It needs to be kinda subtle, and I really want it to look like the effects in this Taylor Swift vide:

Same kinda texture and all. (Look at 1:18 or so)

Does this sound like something I can do?

grinner

You’d be best off just animating them yourself. You can make the butterfly in photoshop then animate the wings in AE. You can then either animate the position and scale in AE and render with an alpha channel or just do that in FCP with your animated wings you did in AE.

If that is over your head, I’m sure you can find some animated butterflies with alpha channels on your favorite elements sites.

Anonymous

http://fohn.net/monarch-butterfly-pictures/monarch-butterfly_large.jpgHey!

Thanks for the reply.

I found a butterfly that seems like what I wanted:

http://fohn.net/monarch-butterfly-pictures/monarch-butterfly_large.jpg

Can you link me a good tutorial for how to animate this in After Effects?

grinner

Set anchor points at the joints of the wings then just keyframe rotation changes. Once you have the butterfly flappin’, you can precompose those three layers (body, wing one and wing two) and animate scale, position, and camera changes as desired. Again, just render with an alpha channel and it’ll key over anything with just a drag and a drop.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.