Software/Templates for DVD/BD case and disc design

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am getting into my 2nd full year now of weddings, and am trying to start really improving every detail of what I am doing. I just upgraded my DVD printer to something with much more creative control in the design software, and ordered up some glossy discs. The end results blow me away, and now cringe when I think of what I was handing to couples last year.

Now that I have the discs looking much more professional, I want to start getting into improving the case design. I have been using a slightly modified template feom Sure Thing, but tobe honest the end result looks pretty basic and cheesy and is not cutting it. Almost to the point where I would rather just hand the couple discs in the white envelopes (which is how our own wedding was handed to us and we paid over $4000 for our video). Does anyone have in mind any great DVD case ideas/software etc?

Or does anyone use any cases other than the standard black DVD case? I know there are some pretty decorative cases out there, but they come at a premium and would almost rather sell that to the couple straight up as a separate cost. But are there any other formats anyone might use for distributing the discs?

Participant

Doublehamm, Two programs come to mind, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. You can do some amazing things with these two programs but they are a little costly for stand alones and there will be a learning curve. Personally, I would take a great still shot of the happy couple and put it on the front and back with their names and date on the front and add some vines or something that you would wish to give it a boarder. On the back I would give a little more information about the wedding and your contact information so they can get duplicate copies. Other than your disk printer, do you have a high quality paper printer? this matters a lot. Also, you would have to trim the cover to fit. If you have Illustrator and photoshop, I can always build a template for you as I do have a degree in graphic design but it would have to be in the CS family. Currently I am using CS4 but I can down convert it to any of the lower CS formats.

Participant

I use these and others. Avery provides free template software that allows me to add photos and text. You lay it out by drag and drop however you want and send it to the printer.

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Products/Labels/Media-Labels/Avery-DVD-Case-Inserts_08891.htm

There are several companies thathave similar formated paper as well.

Participant

Well I may have to buck up and get some Adobe software. My wife can get a student discount, but not sure of all the legalaties of all that? (ie can it be used for my business even if it is a legally purchased version by student?). Do they actually have DVD insert settings? I have used DVD inserts from Memorex and Avery as Crafters has suggested, my issue is making the cover look great. I can make my videos look good, but when it comes to print/graphic design I am horrible in that area. I would be willing to pay for a nice template for an insert! If I did get it I am sure it would be CS5, but I would guess your CS4 version should cause few issues.

Participant

I downloaded the trial for CS5 and followed a tutorial for adding an alpha layer on one of the graphics I have been using. Seems there is a lot to learn and I probably would have to read the tutorial again to do it again – but it worked! It seems there are a lot of youtube and blog tutorials out there to do specific things with photoshop free for the viewing so I don’t know that learning it – or pretending to learn it – will be all that difficult.

If you could tell me what I need to do about getting the template, it would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Participant

If you’re willing to shell out some $$$ up front, these are the nicest folder’s I’ve seen. I know of at least one WEVA guy that uses them (Marc Percy – http://www.visuallyremember.com/). Folders: http://www.mixedmediadirect.com/ – They will work with you if you cannot come up with you’re own design.

Participant

Here is a link to the artwork for Marc’s disc sleeves: http://tinyurl.com/48pf3sp

Participant

Birdcat: Yikes! While the $5-$6 per wallet in the end is alright I do not have $3000+ just throw up front for that type of product. Just a small time guy here. I could almost add a 3rd Z5 to my arsenal for that kind of pricing. I do like the idea though, I just wish they didn’t have a 500 order minimum to start. Do they do the printing as well?

Participant

You can get Avery templates for Illustrator on the web, just plug it in your search bar. Also, if you are going to use Adobe products, I would recommend using their Classroom in a Book for each program you want to learn, even a hard headed Dutchman like myself can easily learn from that series. Stick with Photoshop for your images and use Illustrator for your text and graphics and you will do good. If yoiu are going to be using a photo from your video, make sure it is HD as SD can look pretty lousy when printed. Also, with your Photoshop image, make sure it is at 300 dots per inch and not 72 DPI, it will look a lot better.

Participant

cschultz, would you recommend using the “pre-cut” Avery sheets or just print on normal paper (or something a little heavier but cheaper than the pre-cut)? I have used inserts before, mainly memorex, and truthfully almpst prefer how the printing looks on normal paper. The only advantage is the perforated design making it easy to trim and fit in a DVD case.

Also do you mean you have to print 2 times? Using Photoshop then Illustrator? I am a bit confused on that. I don’t see a way to save an illustrator file as photoshop file or vice versa. Then I would be afraid what I have created would not look well without having everything laid out in one file and just guessing how the end product will look.

I do HD video and the stills I have printed before look fine so I am not worried on that end. I would still be willing to pay for a basic template that looks sharp that I could then just swap out photos and modify the text for each wedding.

Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
      Participant

Here is a DVD Disc template and DVD Case Inlay from DeviantArt, both for Photoshop. This are the exact measurements of the DVD case and disc.

“I can make my videos look good, but when it comes to print/graphic design I am horrible in that area.”

I know what you mean, I’m also terrible in graphic designs, but luckily I have my brother which is very good. Joking I say to him that “I work with thousands of frames, you work with just one”. I know how to use Photoshop, but I cannot come up with any good ideas for a graphic design. Most of the time I just see a blank canvas, contrary to video which I see endless possibilities. Since I know about our struggle as videographers, I’m going to give Videomaker forum participants a Photoshop DVD case Inlay template that my brother design for me. I use this template for marketing purposes, in which I carry a DVD case to activities I’m hired and show attendees a “preview” of the DVD, along with our contact information of course.

Here is a preview of the PSD template. You can change it any way you like to fit your needs

To download the PSD file (is a compress file. The PSD is 47 Mb) please click the following link:

Sargehero Photoshop DVD Case Inlay Template

Hope this helps

Luis O. Maym

Participant

Doublehamm –

Yes, I understand the sticker shock (I couldn’t afford that big chunk o’ change myself) but these cases are really nice if you can go for the $$$. I believe the prices quoted cover all production costs – printing, case and slipcover. If you’ve ever ordered anything from Digital Juice, it is this type of case (Mixed Media Direct is one of their companies) – As I said, very high end but you pay for it.

Participant

I usaully print on presentation paper and cut it myself on a rolling cutter, nice cuts. BTW, who said anything about money, that is why I asked what version you had. Send me a still and describe what you want and I can make you a template. I thought that is why we are here is to help each other. Toodles and have a great day.

Participant

Thank you cschultz! I never go around assuming anything until I know for sure, and I was willing to throw a little your way for the help.Here is just a sample pic of one of my weddings. I am just looking for a sharp elegant template to be used for wedding videos. Something with at least 1 picture on the front, maybe another on the back. The front would include their names and wedding date. Probably an area on the backside for my contact info and maybe add logo? Anything else you might think of? I will send you a private message with my email address.

Thanks again!

Adam

Participant

eh, so maybe that isnt the greatest still pic, but the video of that shot told a whole different story, with the couple kissing through a fountain in the foreground.

Participant

I ordered some new cases that appear I need to shorten the width about a quarter of an inch to get them to fit. How do I change the project properties? Can I scale everything to this or does each layer have to be reset manually?

Sorry about the blank post, apparently this site is not compatible with the newest internet explorer

Participant

Hi,

PhotoShop is great for artist and time consuming and about same for all Adobe product when you passmore than1000 hours to learn and develop ability with a software you probably close your eye on low price solution. For me the best solution is the one I can produce fast like CorelDraw and Inkscape also Magix offer free program to work on photo. What is the price to produce a trap sheet for a DVD case or simply to pay for a DVD artwork. The difference between a student college and a guy running a buisiness to produce is time and the word production. If you look around you can find the best way to work is a true vector software because you can handle both vector and bitmap. Other software like Xara can fit in this way.

Regards,

YR

Participant

I have a pretty nice template for Illustrator that cschultz got me started on. I just need to know how to universally shorten the width of the project to fit the new cases.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2020

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your...
homicide-bootstrap