So, You Want to Make Money Doing Video

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      EarlC

Get a camera, any camera.

Lights, mics and a tripod.

Get an editing system you are comfortable using, and quickly become proficient.

Study, work hard, pay your dues and learn.

Dress appropriately (if you do not know what “appropriate” is, research business attire) for every meeting every gig, every session spent with other persons.

Learn to listen to what people are saying, what they want, then learn to be honest with them about what it costs to create their vision, and what you can create using their budget instead.

Deliver quickly, with quality and affordably – people no longer have to settle for two out of three.

Move as quickly as possible from a price-based competitive structure to a quality-based, or turnaround-based or some combination that mostly includes price as an incidental.

Do your research – the competition, the current trends, your demographics, packaging and marketing.

Focus next on having something to show when your most important next step takes hold – a demo reel, or sample clips.

What’s this about my “most important next step” – uh, that would be direct mail and whatever other marketing strategies you need to gain eyeballs, visitors, callers, potential clients and people who use your services or help you develop video product.

Yeah, usually, if you build it they will come – but ONLY if you let them know you built it. The single, most important element of getting business is not advertising. It is not running 30-second radio spots or cable or broadcast ads. It is not building a website and doing all the things you’ve read about search engine or social site optimization, posting videos on YouTube, or blogging in the hopes that people will FIND you.

Identify the market, and demographic, that interests you most. Find good addresses and design an eye-catching 5 1/2 by 8 1/2 page postcard – not too dense, good basic information and complementary graphics – and start mailing. This is the most affordable, effective and rewarding (if you’re consistent and persistent) strategy for gaining eyeballs to your website, blog or business location.

Yeah, you want to develop a solid referral base business, but first you need people who use you and hopefully become referrals. You are NOT going to get that by print ads, radio and/or TV ads, spots ads, phone book ads, or even your website – tell me again, what’s your URL?

People do not (on average) find YOU. There are exceptions, but not enough to make your new video business take off. YOU have to take the necessary steps to HELP them find you. YOU have to FIND them FIRST! How? Direct mail. Direct mail focused on a specific area of service or production. Do it constantly and often. Repeat as needed.

THIS drives traffic to your blog, to your social sites, to your websites, to your business.

Oh, and don’t forget business cards, and return your inquiries in LESS than 24-hours (folks won’t wait THAT long anymore – in fact, as soon as they hung up from leaving YOU a message, they’re dialing the next number in line) trust me on this. Most have already waited until the last minute to try and find you, and now that they’re convinced they actually DO want video services for tonight’s event, they’re going to dial or e-mail and chances are the first responder gets the gig.

This concludes your “Make Money Doing Video” mini-seminar.

Any questions?

Grinner Hester
      Participant

None, sir. You summed it up perfectly.

composite1

Yeah, that covered the ‘need to know’ section.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Great post!

Anonymous
      Inactive

I joined this community as I am thinking of using video on my site, for the sales pages. Have just printed out your advice. Thank you.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Video and Film Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN