Smoking Tungsten Light

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Is it normal/safe for a tungsten light to start smoking?

Participant

hahah, not really. are there any gels or diffusion on your light? Is cheap paint burning off. Is this the very first time the light is being turned on?

Inactive

well we got it used from bandhphoto.com So it is the first time we’ve used it – no gels or diffusion – there are barndoors… I’ve used it on a few separate occasions and its smoked every time. Although, this last time I left it on for about 30 minutes and the smoked stopped…so I’m wondering if some paint was burning somewhere… maybe problem solved? thx!

Participant

i would pay VERY close attention to them if you choose to continue using them, but i wouldn’t recommend continuing to use them if you don’t know what’s causing the smoke.

If it’s a Lowell Tota with a halogen bulb… yeah, some. If you’re using halogen work lights, no. Usually if your bulbs are ‘smokin” it’s due to dust or the oil from your fingers burning on the bulb (if that happens on a halogen it will burst. Bad, very bad.) Other causes are voltage problems or just leaving the bulbs on constantly when they are not being used for shooting. The type of diffusion material used can also be an issue. When you are not shooting ‘save’ your lights by turning them off.

Participant

totally normal. It’s hot.

Participant

I had this happen on a couple of Altman studio lights the first couple of times I used them. It has stopped. I’m guessing there was just some dust or paint that was burning off. Make sure you are using the lights in a well ventilated area and not near any sprinklers that may be on the ceiling and you should be fine. Might not hurt to know where the nearest fire extinguisher is either.

Participant

there is always resedue that wil burn off of bard doors. Usually oil from your fingers.

Again, no cause for alarm.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap