Small Business Web Production

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

I read in a post on Videomaker that small business web video production is a good money maker for Independent Professional Video Services Providers. How does one go about getting this type of business? What is involved in bringing a small business web video production to fruition?

Thank you and I’m looking forward to reading the great responses!

Pamela

Participant

That’s a loaded question and depends on what you’re trying to do. For example, if you aim to generate your own original content, you’ll take different steps than if you were trying to gain clients who need video for the web produced.

Could you fill us in on what it is your small business will be doing?

Participant

Hi Rob,

Thanks for asking. I would want to gain clients who would need video web production as one of the services my business would offer. I’m still in the planning stages right now as an IVSP.

Thanks,

Pamela

Participant

Pamala, you really need to hone down your direction to get better feedback. Are you looking to produce commercials, YouTube vids, or corporate training videos. What are you looking to produce is a question that you have to ask yourself and you will have to gain experience in the field you choose. There is no need to tell you how to produce a movie if you plan to shoot YouTube videos; the information may be helpful but not necessary for you to excel.

Participant

cschultz, I think it would be more along the lines of corporate training videos. How would I go about gaining experience? Is it just a matter of prospecting clients and expanding from there?

Participant

If you want to donate some of your time and gain some experience find a local non-profit that you like and see if they could use your services. I got an opportunity to shoot an information video for our church outreach program that runs an adult day care as well as in home care program. I gained a lot of experience working with a client, shooting video, working with voice talent etc. It was low pressure because I was working for free. Besides the experience I made a lot of contacts and this work led to paying jobs for some other non-profit groups.

Tony

Participant

Pamela,

Just so we’re all on the same page, understand that no one is going to come to you and say, “Hey, I need a web video.” That’s no different from someone saying, “Hey, I need a DVD.” Web videos are just a form of delivery, and any type of video can be delivered via the internet.

Since you mentioned corporate training videos, I agree with the advice CVille has offered. If you want to start a business, you’re going to have to build some credibility, and to do that you’re going to need a body of work that you can show off to possible clients. In addition to providing free work for non-profits, you can look into providing content for outlets such as MonkeySee.com and HowCast.com

Once you’ve have a portfolio that you’re happy with, you should build yourself a website that has your work posted.

Then you start callin around and marketing yourself to companies. As you begin to gain clients, hopefully you can even more through word of mouth.

Pam, sooooo doable. Sooooo possible. There’s a HUGE market in this and a wide array of options for all or part of it that interests you the most. Your marketing strategy would be best served by selecting the kind of businesses and types of programs you want to develop, identifying those markets in your respective service area, then making them offers they can’t refuse.

There’s a strong and solid demand for independent video services providers who can operate professionally, efficiently and affordably with timely or faster turnarounds on delivery. To reach that market you need to identify it, the participants and let them know how to find you. IMHO the most effective and affordable approach is direct-mail postcards, then a strong and consistent followup program.

Check your e-mails πŸ™‚

Inactive

Hi Pamela,

I am just starting also. I have started a facebook page for my project. You might want to do the same so you can connect personally with potential clients:

http://facebook.com/dallasvideoproduction

to get a Page, go to http://www.facebook.com/pages

after you have 25 “fans” who liked the page, you can set your own domain name, like mine. Just go to http://www.facebook.com/username

Set a name that is geo targeted. This is free, and you can use it instead of a website at the beginning

Helpful information, Andika, thanks for sharing. Also, if you’re not, go to LinkedIn and join that professional social site.

Earl http://www.facebook.com/EarlsURL also, I’m four shy of enough fans to have a user name, but sent out a batch to see if I can get that done.

Participant
      Participant

Thanks everyone. This info. has been helpful.

Pamela

Participant

Hi Pamela
      You mention in your first post that you are interested in small business web video. I can recommend a book, Web Video, making it great, getting it noticed by Jennie Bourne. The book covers all of the technical issues of shooting video and hosting the video on the web. It also describes many potential applications for video.

While it is true that there many opportunities for an IVSP, it is not easy to get jobs. Most jobs come by word of mouth referrals. But you need to get known first and that means advertising. Facebook is fun but time-consuming and that is more than likely not where your clients are. I would start by sending out direct mail to potential small businesses and corporations in your area. I would also join the local chamber of commerce and attend meetings. Another option is to identify potential clients and put together a proposal for them at a reasonable price, but offer a deep “spring discount” to encourage them to give you the job.

Heidi

Participant

Great post Heidi! The book is now on my must read list. Thank you so much!

Participant

Hi Pamela,

Your original question was web videos for small businesses, which is the core of my business. Most small businesses don’t have a web presence, primarily because of the time it requires to create content. Video makes it easy to create that content and since video is favored by most search engines, it actually helps the businesses get found.

You need a good understanding of internet marketing (most IMs use video extensively) and a sales aptitude for reaching out to the small businesses in your area.

Typically you need a 3 minute max video for the home page to create the interest. Then shorter videos to explain the services or products being offered. Each video can be syndicated to as many as 30 video hosting sites creating exposure for both you and the client.

The market is gigantic, but requires a lot more info than I can include in a post like this. If you are serious about investing more, contact me at meidhof@gmail.com

George

Participant

George, thank you! I will contact you!

Participant

Pamela, have you ever heard of BNI? They are all about networking and may have a group in your area that can help you get more business. Go to http://www.BNI.com and see if they have a chapter in your area.

Participant

cschultz, great, I will make a note of that!

Participant

Pamela,

I too, am hustling to develop my business. I joined my local Chamber of Commerce and have been cultivating relationships. It’s slow going however. I recommend you be prepared for the long haul – the less debt and overhead you carry, the more successful you’re likely to be.

That said, I’m having a blast – Good luck!!!

Ed Rogers

Fidelity Productions LLC

http://www.youtube.com/user/DesignCBTs?feature=mhum

Participant

Like any business, until you have avidly happy clientele selling for you, you have to hit the pavement and strum up bidness for yourself. In some industries, that revolves around advertising. In this one, it revolves around tenacity. Cold-calling, post cards, press releases, and attending shmooze fests of all kinds are dang near free, not counting time and the paper and ink used for the post cards. You can email galore with linkage to your reel but unless they know you, you’ll do much better by introducing yourself over the phone. We learned in school we get 10 nos for every yes. That’s hogwash. More like 100 so get to work. Never take a no as a nagative. See it as another step closer to the yes.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap