Slow Mo in Final Cut Pro

Anonymous (not verified)

One thing I am trying to understand is how to get better slow motion footage. From what I hear it seems people shoot at a higher frame rate and then import the footage at a lesser one. Is that true? If so, how do you do that in Final Cut Pro? Example shooting at 60p and then bringing into 24p. Outside of Final Cut Pro, is there any other software you need to have to accomplish this effect? Can someone please explain this?

EarlC's picture

Popluar FCP guru Ken Stone has an older article (written for FCP 5, I think) that gives some information regarding this, using Motion. There were a number of videos as well, focused on slow motion in FCP, when I went to Google and searched for "slow motion using Final Cut Pro" and you might find something specific to what you need to know there.

Rob Grauert's picture

"If you are using one of the interlaced 60i modes, use Compressor to de-interlace it to 60p. Then use Cinema Tools.
De-interlacing:
Edit the "Prores 422 for progressive material" preset to add the de-interlace filter. Here is an example of the summary tab after you are done:"

Deinterlacing 60i does not give you 60fps. It will still only give you 29.97 - it will just be progressive, and it won't even slow down that much once you conform in CInema tools.

The "ProRes 422 for Progressive Material" is for a progressive SOURCE. So if he wants to deinterlace and transcode to ProRes, he should use "ProRes422 for Interlaced Material," turn on Frame Controls, and set up the Frame Controls pane for deinterlacing. But like I implied, it's pretty much pointless to deinterlace 60i to get slow mo out of it. You're better off bringing it into Motion and using Optical Flow

Rob Grauert's picture

"Dragging a 60i file onto this with produce a true 60fps progressive video. The idea here is to convert each interlaced frame into a progressive frame, so that you have 60 unique frames per second."

An interlaced frame consists of 2 fields, which is why 60i is 29.97. If you were to only de-interlace, you get 30p. The setting you create de-interlaces and creates a 30p to 60p conversion at the same time. You are pulling an extra 30 frames out of no where (not that optical flow in Motion doesn't do that).

Also, when converting 30 to 60, you also need to change the Rate Conversion setting to "Best (High Quality Motion Compensated), which you forgot to mention.

rfh1317's picture

I'm also curious on the topic. I shoot with a Canon XH-A1 but mainly at 60fps and for any slow motion shots I integrate the amazing abilities of motion, but with my camera's ability to shoot at ridiculous fps, why not take advantage of it? I want to import high quality slow motion around 1000fps (my camera goes up to 15,000 according to the dial settings) but when i import video and slow it down, it looks just like normal 60fps shots on FCP. Do I have to import it at a different setting than normal film? Thanks!

Ryan

Rob Grauert's picture

Ryan,

Your camera doesn't shoot 15000fps or even 1000fps. What you're looking at is the shutter speed (although, video cameras don't have an actual shutter).

Your camera only shoot up to 30fps.