Slates or clapboards

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Wondering about the use and possible methods for building a slate.

Thanks,

John

Participant

Slates are good for using in edit to know what scene you are on. If you don’t have timecode it helps a lot. As for what to build. You don’t need the clapper part unless you are recording sound on something other than your tape. you can buy them cheaply these days. Info you want really is more about the show than the director DP thing which is nothing more than vanity. I would say take, scene, and notes are the three most important things yo need to see. YOu can buy a small dry erase white board form staples. 12×12 is good or 9×9 if you can find it. Then you can write what you want on the board, or put some permanent stick on letters for scene, take, etc.

Here is link for a slate I found in a search. It’s black and takes chalk but for $5 you can’t beat it. Look on Google under Movie slate or video slate.

http://giftmania.com/g/k/key.html?keywords=slate

Thanks. Yeah, not that interested in making this look any more “glamorous” than it actually it is. I make amateur video dramas for a local church and they are amateur. I found myself losing track of scenes on the tape and wanted to be able to track them better. The sound synch isn’t an issue as I am using the sound off the tape, but was looking for a visual cue as to what was on a particular segment of tape. On the flip side, I sometimes use my kids as production assistants (grips, etc.) and my 6 year old wanted to “do the clap thing”. I definitely need to keep her happy!! 🙂

Thanks for the help.

John

Participant

get her a clapper then but watch out for the fingers!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap