Single-camera Wedding Videography

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi All!

Adam recommended to me the Sony VX2100, which I am pretty certain that I will purchase today or tomorrow. But, I am a little concerned about the size of the camera.

I’m a pretty small person, and the wedding I am set to videotape is going to be an hour-long ceremony. I will only have one camera – the vx2100. I have two questions – how do I handle audio? and do I go for handheld or tripod?

As for audio, I would love to mic the groom, because of course you want the exchange of vows. But I also want to have a separate mic so I can get ambient noise, etc. How do I handle that?

Second, I’m pretty darn sure I cannot hold the camera for an hour without getting totally wobbly, so, do I keep it on a tripod the whole time? I want some freedom of movement, because they’ll be walking around the altar, etc. Can you do half and half (handheld & tripod)? How do you transition that?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Participant

me replying again.. As far as a single cam ceremony goes, it has always served me best to pick a good location and go from tripod. If you are in the right location you can follow the couple as they move around. I would definately mic the groom, that will pick up really all of the audio you will need pretty well. If you would like to get ambient audio there is one way you can get both but it requires purchasing a beachtek xlr audio box. You would plug the beachtek box into your camera and run two seperate xlr sources to the two channels. One could be the mic’d groom and the other could be a shotgun mic or something. But if that is important to you, you could look into getting the pd170 with the XLR built in instead of the beachtek box. Otherwise you relly can only get one audio source into the camera if you are using the vx2100.

My best advice is that if you want to go handheld do so at the beginning as they are walking down the aisle, but go to tripod quickly when you get a break (a prayer or something). Then you could go handheld again towards the end if you wanted. If you try going handheld the whole time it will not look professional.

Last piece of advice, when you are moving around do a slow zoom out first so the motion isn’t too abrupt, then do a slow zoom back in when you lock on the subject. And, always remember you are the only audio and video source, so no cutting to a second angle, be sure to bring headphones so you can monitor your audio!

Later
      ~Adam
      http://www.inmotionvideo.biz

Participant

Having just 1 camera really limits what you can do. Definitely keep it on a tripod as much as possible and try not to do too many movements.

Participant

Thank you so much everyone for the advice!

I have to say, though, that I’m a little overwhelmed by it all and, quite frankly, freaked out.

First, let me clear it up that this is for a family member, who knows very well of my expertise (as in, it doesn’t exist yet). He expects nothing professional (at least that’s what he said).

Second, I do have a second camera – my JVC GRD72. I could use it as a secondary, but won’t there be a huge difference in image quality? I’ve never seen video from a VX2100, so I don’t know for sure, but you’d think the cuts from one camera to another would show significant image differences.

Third, I am going to the rehearsal, so I can get a feel of how the ceremony will go. Hopefully everyone will stand really close because I cannot afford three mics for groom, minister, and father. I’m hoping just a mic on the groom will do it. I’ve heard good things about azden, shure, and sennheiser. Which gives you the most bang for your buck?

I guess that’s all for now. Don’t hold back, now! I need all the advice I can get.

Thank you SO MUCH!

Participant

Don’t be freaked out, you will do fine. You have gotten a lot of opinions here from people who do this for a living, and everyone has their own way of doing it. You will be just fine if you get one wireless mic for the groom, it will pick up minister, bride, and father pretty well. You could always make audio volume adjustments in post. I would suggest setting up your 72 on a $10 tripod somewhere as a static shot, plus it will serve as another audio source, granted not a very good one, but audio none the less. You could be creative with the video from that angle if you need it during editing, something you could try is to use the 72’s video as a texture, making it black and white, sepia, or something. But definately use it, it’s a good backup to have if nothing else. Hands down, the best wireless mic setup to get is the sennheisser ew100 series G2 lav mic, and if you can swing it, get the handheld adapter for it too.

Weddings are fun, because there’s always something different that you have to adapt to. Be ready, attentive and alert and you will be fine.

Also, a good piece of advice is to get as much b-roll as possible, it’s great to fill in if needed.

Check out the sample videos on my website to get some ideas if you want to http://www.inmotionvideo.biz

Good luck
      Later
      ~Adam

Participant

“Meanwhile, I will disagree with Adam on just about everything but the B-roll.”

I don’t want to take this statement the wrong way, but we all have varrying opinions based on experience.

I suggest buying good equipment to start with, not low grade stuff where you’re just asking for problems.

I mentioned a cheap tripod for the second (static) camera that will not be touched, and should be located out of the way of people. I have a GRD 72 that I used as a deck until I drove it into the ground, the thing is tiny and doesn’t require much to keep it upright:) but by all means use a nice fluid head tripod for your primary camera.

I do agree with you solver that the audio in that clip lacks a little in robustness, but I would prefer that than popping and crackling all of the time. And since the minister wouldn’t wear another mic (gotta do what you gotta do).

Anyway, you can get the senheisser from b&h like I did for around $500 and it’s a good investment.

I won’t take offense compusolver, I definately agree with a lot of the stuff you said, and I love getting input on these boards because there is always something to learn.

Later
      ~Adam

Participant

Oh, oh one last thing. You can’t use more than 1 wireless mic with the vx2100 unless you have a beachtek, or if you get a pd170 instead, or run it all through a sound board (way too much hassle). Just a final thought, three wireless work great for multicam shoots. Too bad the 72 doesn’t have audio input.

Have fun

~Adam

Participant

It’s $469 now, a little cheaper when I purchased mine, but definately not $850.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=324242&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I did end up getting just the lapel, and got the handheld transmitter seperately, which I would not recommend doing:) If I were purchasing one new I would go with the combo for $599.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=324227&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

~Adam

Participant

Interresting, I’v never personally had any problems with it but I will check into true diversity next time I am in the market.

Thanks
      ~Adam

Inactive

According to the review by videomaker the Azden in question doesn’t appear to be true diversity:
      http://www.videomaker.com/scripts/article_print.cfm?id=9994

I am confused….

Inactive

Audio is the most challenging part of any production. I use the Azden 500UDR wireless system on a JVC-5000U and find it to be very good. I have several types of mics that are XLR and the plug in transmitter really allows a lot of flexibility. My thought on the wedding audio… as many mics as you can afford and still manage during the shoot. How about a wireless shotgun along the side and aimed between the first row and the Bride and Groom? This would be a secondary “catch all” track. Many years ago, I suspended a “wired” mic from a ceiling beam- it worked surprizingly well.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap